Trevor778

Well Known Member
Im just about to start sealing up my tanks. My question is what is MDRA looking for in the tanks? They will not be able to see any of the shop heads of the rivets since they'll be covered in pro seal. Can I rivet the entire structure together and leave the root rib cover plate off? This would only leave access to the first bay of the tank, but would show my workmanship. I've tried contacting mdra to clarify this but I guess they're all on vacation and haven't heard anything back. How far did you take your tanks prior to inspection? Thanks for the reply's.

Trevor

On the RV-10 tanks the rear bulkhead that runs the entire length is last to install. I had ours to that stage before inspection.
Ron

On my 9a, I completed the tanks and pressure tested them without the end plate permanently attached (no proseal, just the cork).

Turns out, the inspector did not examine the interior of the tank, for obvious reasons.

I then prosealed the end plates and retested the tanks.

However, you do need to establish a working relationship with your inspector sooner rather than later. He or she will have excellent advice that will keep you out of trouble.

Treat your inspector as a knowledgeable friend and advisor. They are volunteers and enjoy this hobby as much as you do, so they are eager to offer advice and answer your questions.

V

Unfortunately, with MDRA, Consistency is not something you can count on. Different inspectors have different requirements and some will refuse to sign off on things that others would have no problem with.
To protect yourself, I would email MDRA HQ to ask the question, and get the answer in writing (an email) and print it out it so you can show the inspector if he takes a different approach at the time of inspection.

MDRA

Just a suggestion based on my frustration with MDRA when I started the build...

DONT EMAIL THEM OR THE INSPECTOR. They seem to be way way better doing the old way (phone). When you get ahold of an actual person, I found they were 110% excellent...from the boss, to the local inspector. But...emails always just disappeared.

My inspector was top notch and very reasonable. If you ask him some questions he will be straight up and he knows he will be your guy all the way through the build...so he has a vested interest in making it simple and clear.

I agree they are better in person, but i've also had good luck with email when I emailed Al Mahon, who I believe runs the whole thing.
We in eastern ontario and quebec have had issues over the past few years with consistency between inspectors, and the problem with phone conversations is it becomes "he said/she said". If you get an email with the official position from Al Mahon or somebody at their HQ, then you at least have something you can point to.

Im just about to start sealing up my tanks. My question is what is MDRA looking for in the tanks? They will not be able to see any of the shop heads of the rivets since they'll be covered in pro seal. Can I rivet the entire structure together and leave the root rib cover plate off? This would only leave access to the first bay of the tank, but would show my workmanship. I've tried contacting mdra to clarify this but I guess they're all on vacation and haven't heard anything back. How far did you take your tanks prior to inspection? Thanks for the reply's.

Trevor

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=74684&highlight=mdra

So how do I go abouts getting in touch with my inspector? I've sent a couple of follow up emails and they all seem to get lost in the system.

Again, I would try Al Mahon directly. He is the President and General Manager of MD-RA. Explain to him your frustration with your emails not getting responses by MDRA. I've found him to be helpful in hte past, and I think he sincerely wants the MDRA Program to work well.
[email protected]

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I'll shoot an e mail to Al and hopefully get this resolved. Till then I'll just carry on with the tanks. This pro seal stuff isn't that bad.