N91CZ

Well Known Member
I'm planning on a trip to Canada next week and have been looking for a Canadian equivalent to Airnav to scope out fuel prices etc. Does anyone know if such a site exists.
thanks,
Chris

fill'er up, sir?

..remember, the gallons are bigger! ( or is it, there are more litres in them?)
and it may sound cold here, but it's just because we measure in centipedes!
( apologies to Dave Barry)

where are you flying to in Canada? many small fields have good prices.
...and then, slightly larger fields that have only one FBO/fueler, spell 'monopoly'.
Pick up a CFS book at your first stop, and all the field's with fuel, and phone numbers are in there, so you can do a little shopping around.
watch the hours of service if not self serve.
Here in southern BC, prices range from $1.47 to $1.76 per litre, or $5.55 to $6.65 per us gallon.
Of course, your us dollar will buy about 5% more fuel right now, so consider that a bonus!:)

fuel prices

Pick up a CFS book at your first stop, and all the field's with fuel, and phone numbers are in there, so you can do a little shopping around.

Yup...I also was looking for an airnav type site, couldn't find one and ended up calling around. One realizes pretty quickly, the best prices on fuel in Canada is what you take in with your own tanks :D The best I did find, given my narrow search, was Spencer's at Penticton, 1.55 a liter, that was mid-July.

Bonners Ferry (65S) just south of the border, North Idaho, had fuel for $4.29 gal, and airnav still shows it at that same price. Filled up, popped up to Porthill for customs (even though it isn't listed as a Canada airport of entry, it is). Filled up on the way south as well. If 65S is not near your route, some other US airport likely is and can minimize fuel bill.

I just got back a week ago from a trip to AK and found the prices to be 1.65 to 1.73 per litre. I think you multiply these by 3.785 to get US gallons.

What we found is that the price of lodging and everything else was really the big expense over fuel.

The trip was well worth every penny reguardless of whose likeness was stamped on it.

Have a great trip, Tim.

Tillsonburg (CNQ4) sells 100LL for $1.25 a litre....Tillsonburg is north of Lake Erie and just a little southeast of London in southwestern Ontario. Closer to the Toronto area and the price starts rising.

3.79 litres to a gallon for a price of $4.74/gallon.

Cheers

Canadian Owners Pilot Association

One item of note is that some places will advertise their fuel with or without tax. Tilsonburg's fuel for example is $1.25 per liter + 13% tax (Ontario + Federal tax). My home airport of Carp sells at $1.35 per liter tax included. Depending on the area of the country (mainly the eastern-most provinces), fuel can be as high as (about) $1.80 per liter with tax. (OK, actually there are much higher prices in some areas, but they are really remote, typically a ways up north ... at some you can only buy a barrel).

You can check out COPA's site:
http://archive.copanational.org/PlacesToFly/index.php

The fuel price listing (most airports in Canada) can be accessed near the bottom of that page. You can also get some detailed information (services, fuel price, etc) on a particular airport by selecting the province and then the airport. The information is user-supplied, so some of it may be stale (check the reported date). If you have more current information, feel free to add in your comments. It helps us all.

Edit: please take note that some of the prices have been entered pre-tax. Usually someone has stated that fact in the comments section, but not always. It would be nice if everyone just posted the fuel price including tax.

Last edited:
I can offer a few data points from this week in the Vancouver, BC area:

CAK3 (Delta Heritage Airpark): 1.42 / L
CYNJ (Langley): 1.58 / L
CYCW (Chilliwack): 1.62 / L

Delta Heritage is my home field, and is a 2500' grass strip. It always has the cheapest gas of any airport in the lower mainland, so it's worth stopping in if you want cheap gas. It's also a great grassroots field, with about 50 planes and lots of old-timers willing to talk about them. Three RV's on the field.

Langley is home to about 20 RV's of various types, so if you want more RV people nearby you can pop over there after you get gas at Delta. Most of the Langley people fly to Delta for gas anyway. :)