cdn_7a

Hi,

I'd like to fly my 7A into Mexico but can't find any information on Mexico issuing a special flight authorization. I'm looking for a document similar to what the US issues for canadian aircraft. Any Canadians out there that have done this? I've asked Baja Bush Pilots and they don't have an answer.

Thanks.

Ask the experts

Hello,

I am based in Mexico and I wish I had a quick answer for you, but I am not 100% familiar with the process. There is a person who is very experienced in this. Contact Rick Gardner of Caribbean Sky Tours www.caribbeanskytours.com. They have tons of experience and can surely tell you who to contact and how. They sell a bunch of useful stuff for flying on your own to Mexico and I am sure picking up one of the their guides will be infinitely useful. Rick is also an ambassador to the AOPA in Mexico and a really great guy.

Good Luck

new thread? traveling to Mexico.......

Dave,
I'm too chicken to go to Mexico, but please keep us posted on the process!

I recall a very old Flying or Plane & Pilot article when their rental C172 was found up on blocks with radios removed when they returned from their beach tour! ( and they paid a local $50 to 'keep an eye on it'.....translation....and phone the guys who paid him $100 to advise them of a good score!)

I'm sure this is unusual, but pays to know a good FBO to hangar or secure your ship when away from the ramp, eh?

Thanks for the replies. www.caribbeanskytours.com has a document on file that provides the permission necessary to fly Amateur built aircraft into Canada. The ruling basically says that Mexico will allow the aircraft within Mexican airspace unless the country or origin, Canada, explicitly disallows it.

ps. This is my interpretation only. If you fly into Mexico you need to confirm this for yourself.

Special CofA in Mexico

I've done a lot of research, including contacting Mexican authorities, on the subject of Special Certificate of Airworthiness certificates in Mexico. All I can find is that people are flying their amateur and experimental aircraft in Mexico with out a valid CofA or insurance. If someone can show me a document contradicting this I'd sure like to see it. Otherwise, Mexico is one big no fly zone for me!

Mexico

I fly to Mexico for work as a corporate pilot and have gone with Scott Schmidt in his RV-10. My RV-10 was just finished in March 2011 so I haven't had a chance to take it down yet. I was at La Pas and Cabo a week and a half ago. It is not a big deal going down there. You have to file an international flight plan (fltplan.com) and have an eAPIS filled out. You also need 12 inch Numbers on your plane, I guess you Canadians already have that....
Call US Customs in Yuma or San Diego for your return and coordinate that. For Mexico call ahead to their customs in Mexicali or wherever you are crossing. You will have to stop at one of these entry airports and get the paperwork filled out. You have to carry the temporary permit with you until you leave.
As far as safety, I don't really worry about it. Use common sense. If you're not in a cartel or you're not a cop you shouldn't worry. The 182's and 206's and similar will be scouted out by the cartels but the RV's won't be.
Some insurances already cover Mexico and others have to be notified. It's good to have a copy of the Mexican insurance in your plane in Spanish so there is no questions. Even in the remote dirt strips the Federales will sometimes show up. A little intimidating at first.
Jeppesen has some good reading if you get a trip kit. Only IFR flight plans at night are allowed. I'm saying all this out of memory so read up and make some phone calls to customs. They usually are happy to answer your questions.

Good luck. It's fun, cheap and pretty empty since nobody dares to go down anymore. Three of us flew from KBTF to MMML in Scott's RV-10 and it cost 33 dollars a piece for gas and is 520nm. We flew down the Baja area. One of the funnest trips I've been on. Scott's write-up below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=54561

Last edited:
Mexican paperwork

I agree that flying in Mexico can be enjoyable. I have read several travel reports with very favorable results.

My question is, how do you deal with the following restriction on your Special CofA?

The special airworthiness certificate does not authorize flight over countries other than the United States without permission of that country.

Filing a flight plan and dealing with eAPIS is not permission from Mexico allowing you to fly your aircraft. Your Special CofA is only valid until you hit the Mexican border. After that, you need a CofA from Mexico or an authorization letter from Mexico honoring your US document. This is the document that Canada and the Bahamas make readily available.

I tried to go to the EAA site to find the answer, and I think it is there, but I quit using their site (Oshkosh 365) shortly after they unveiled it because it is pretty much unusable. After trying it again today, I have not changed my mind.:(
There is another thread on VAF about the best websites. Well, maybe................Oh, never mind.

I found this on the attached website.

Planning For The Trip
In the operating limitations of your aircraft, you will find the following or a similarly worded statement: "This aircraft does not meet the requirements of the applicable, comprehensive, and detailed airworthiness code as provided by Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. This aircraft may not be operated over any other country without the permission of that country." In order to get permission, contact Mexico?s Embassy in the United States:

Mexico?s Embassy in theUnited States?
Address: Embassy of Mexico, 2829 16th
St., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20009
Telephone: (202) 728-1600 Embassy
Consulate (202) 736-1000, 01, 02, 03
Military Attache (202) 728-1740

It is suggested that you receive permission in writing. Be sure to document your request by registered mail, should the lines of communication break down and you do not receive a response. Allow 30 days lead time for this process. However, five days in advance is required.

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebui...rder Crossing Information for Homebuilts.html

MEXICO = BUMMER

Just my opinion - I wouldn't take anything that I value south of the border (including my life). Too many kidnappings, cars and property lost etc. Not a good place to go. No personal experiences here but too many tales of woe - I will never go there. Others will tell you that Mexico, etc are ok - do you want to take a chance?

As another said, you have been warned. Sorry for the negative report but it is what it is (in my opinion).

E.D., I can't help but think that the same is true for many areas in the US. At least, if I believe everything I see in the news. And yet, I fly into the US a couple of times a year and meet nothing but nice people. I wonder if my Canadian perspective on the US is similar to a US perspective on Mexico?

If you can get your head around the requirements - Go there

When living in California I flew to many places in Mexico in Baja and on the mainland. Every single trip was a wonderful independent adventure into an exotic country that is a little more basic than the button down society we must conform to in our everyday lives.

The requirements are more complex to get in and out these days but I doubt that the wonder and adventure potential has changed. One thing you must have is Mexican Insurance. I always bought mine from Macafee & Edwards or something like that. Once I forgot to take my Mexican Insurance documentation and I used Guymas as my airport of entry. They finally let me continue down to Puerto Vallarta but I sweated having to leave the plane there and find a way home to resolve the problem.

Bob Axsom