hughfi

Well Known Member
A question if I may.

My family has grown considerably in the last few years, so my beautiful RV^ is getting less and less use. My wife approached me this morning about possibly changing it for a light twin with 6 seats to carry the family on trips etc. Anyway, as much as it would kill me to sell my RV, I am reluctant to look a gift horse in the mouth, so a light twin it will be. My question is can one simply trade in an RV against a light twin. Does anyone know if this is done at all? I have no clue. It would save me trying to find a buyer for it in the current market.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thx.

Hugh.

If you find an open minded seller, you might find someone who is very willing to take an RV in trade for a light twin. The light twin market is dead right now, and an RV trade might get the twin off of somene's hands and give them something they either like and want to fly, or give them something that will sell in this market.

I was just looking at a nice looking Beech Travelair this morning, thinking "1/3 the price of an RV-10". The counterthought was "10x the maintenance cost and 50% more fuel burn than an RV-10".

Last edited:
Yes......

....If he's a forward thinking dealer who knows the value of RV's and more and more seem to.

When I worked for an Agwagon dealer, we took in a couple of Pitt'ses on two separate occasions. Later, we took a Cessna 401 on a trade for three Agtrucks and all were re-sold.

I'd consider both Barnstormers and VAF classifieds to sell your RV, then buy the twin... and also try dealers....whichever one offers the best deal...go for it.

Regards,

Tax advantage?

If you trade a plane, is it like trading a car where you only pay sales tax on the difference?

It seems to be...

If you trade a plane, is it like trading a car where you only pay sales tax on the difference?

..dependant on the state you live (or purchase?) in...

For cars, but I bet planes are similar -

No sales tax deduction for trade-in
......Currently California, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland, Michigan allow no deductions for trade-ins when calculating sales tax.

Twin Bonanza For Sale or Trade

I've got a 1960 Twin Bonanza that I might trade for an RV. 6 or 7 seats in typical Beech comfort. Great family SUV. Flies great and hauls a load and goes the distance.

An oldie but goodie! Can't beat the value for around 80k.

Family Haulers

I too kept the twin for family (Baron 58); sacrificing the personal pleasure of building my RV-8 (for now). There are a great number of excellent opportunities in the twin market. You may want to look at the older Cessna 310's. Definitely a sexy bird, with Continental IO 470's, 6 seats, and a decent cruise performance. Price range around 40-50,000 with updated avionics.
BTW, you are among the fortunate few whose spuose shares the love of aviation.
TN