hesty

Hello,

I am getting close to starting the sliding canopy part of my 7A build. I have successfully supplemented Van's instructions with builder websites to get to this point and would love to find someone that documented(with MANY photos) the sliding canopy part of the project. I have referrenced plenty of builder sites that have tip-ups, but can't seem to find any good slider sites. Can you recommend one?:D

Cheers
Chad

PS...big thumbs-up to Bruce Swayze and his photo intensive website.

Slider website

Chad, I don't have the full explanation posted on my website yet but it will be forthcoming (expect it in 1-2 weeks). The short story is I planned 6 weeks to do the canopy on my 9A slider. 7 weeks later the aft bow was not bent to my satisfaction and my patience with it was running out. A wood working friend came up to help for a week and took a look at it. Right away he was suggesting a jig to use for bending the frame. I had toyed with the idea but thought it was too much work. Being out of ideas and pretty disgusted I figured why not? Two days later the work was done, the front bow (which I was okay with) was now perfect and the aft bow appeared perfect. The side rails were never much of a problem.

Here's what we did. Initially I was bending things by eye - mount the frame, look, measure, take the frame off, measure, bend, refit the frame to the canopy and check it out. Repeat way past the point of frustration. Dream about bending canopy frames in the afterlife.

So to get the front bow right (it was high in the middle and okay on the sides, we set the frame so both sides of the front bow rested on an EAA work bench (any sturdy bench should work). We used pipe clamps to restrict the bow from spreading and we put two pipe clamps symmetrically perpendicular to the first clamp. These clamps were about 4" right and left of the center and pulled the bow down to the table. I'll just say 3130 has more spring back than I expected and it took 3 tries as I recall to get the bow down in the center but when we did, it was precisely in the middle of what the manual specified. Before doing this, I'd ground the tubes where they fit to the rollers to so the side bow was level, per the manual.

The real trick in my mind is the aft bow and I am 99% certain I could do this again in less than 1 day, using this methodology. There's no guess work! First make a template. You will need 2 sheets of MDF board roughly 3' by 5' in size. Take one sheet and lay it flat against the back of the open fuselage and make an outline of the turtle deck. There is an assumption that the turtle deck is symmetrical, which I think they generally will be because of the nearby bulkhead.

Now stack both sheets of MDF board on your bench with the outline facing up. Mark the centerline perpendicular to the curve. Lay the aft bow on the curve and put the weld where the HMW plastic piece is bolted on centered on the center line. Mark the outline of the welded part. Remove the frame and drill and chisel a hole so that attach point will go in the hole and allow the bow to lay flat on the MDF. You can see how close the bow is to matching the curve.

Start at the center and match the bow to the curve, bending as needed. When a section of the bow is right, use 6-8" pieces of 2x4 scrap to block the frame in place. Progressively work out from the center on both sides. The lower end of the bow (where the side rail joins) will NOT need to be bent in as far. I'd suggest getting the bow bent about 2/3 of the way around and then slowly let it deviate from the line. Test fit the frame occasionally.

I found the bend was just about perfect when the sides of the aft bow just touched the aft fuselage when you slid the bow (no canopy) back. When you add the plexiglass, it will pull the aft bow out enough to clear the turtle deck. Also, when you get the plexiglass on you'll see that the plexiglass is just a continuation of the turtle deck. I was somewhat astounded at how close I nailed it using this method, especially considering how screwed up my aft bow was after 7 weeks of "tweaking" it.

There are some photos on my web site and I suspect you'll be able to figure out what I mean between this explanation and those photos. If not ask and I'll talk you through it. My observation is this part of the build was NOT FUN and its the only part so far I have not enjoyed...but when I figured out how to do it right, the joy of building started coming back.

Thanks for the replies! Awesome info! Seems half the crowd has difficulty with the canopy and the other half enjoyed it...or are lying. :rolleyes:

Chad

I have enjoyed building the sliding canopy very much, definitely a challenge to get correct yet still fun . I'm doing aluminum side and rear skirts and aluminum windshield fairings, almost done just waiting on my shrinker to get delivered so everything can get tweaked before final installation.
I have some generic pictures I've started posting on photo bucket.

I?ve just now managed to get through installing the skirts on my -7 sliding canopy. As a starter, I recommend Orndorff?s video for some good ideas. But he doesn?t show how to make the frame fit and I?m now convinced that the initial frame fit is the most important step in the process.

I had virtually no problem with the roll bar. I was able to tweak the canopy frame to get a good match between the forward canopy frame bow and the roll bar and I even managed to get the side bows to be where they needed to be relative to the fuselage. As stated earlier, it?s a very good idea to believe Van?s instructions about the position of the frame and roll bar relative to the cockpit/turtledeck.

Problem was, however, the rear bow kept messing up everything. I fooled with it endlessly to make it work with no success. I postponed installing the canopy and from time to time over months (years) would try again.

In the 90?s I built a Pitts including cutting/welding the 4130 tubing for the fuselage from scratch so I slapped my forehead and said to myself what am I waiting for? I finally got fed up and cut the rear bows off. I installed the pin mounts and caused the side bows to be where I wanted them to be. I taped 3/8? dowel rods extending forward around the turtle deck to get reference points and bent ?? x .035 4130 to fit within a 1/16? or so under the extended dowel rods. I used a borrowed tubing bender to curve the 4130 tube to avoid collapsing the tubing (you can safely make a small radius bend by hand or using a template in 3/8? 4130, but ?? 4130 tends to kink).

Worked just fine. That took me one Saturday morning but I?ve tig welded quite a bit of 4130 thin wall tubing over the years and I was able to borrow the tube bender.

Once this was done, I cut and drilled the canopy per Orndorff in a day and had the windshield trimmed and drilled in place another day. Be sure your rollers are free to rotate - this is explained in the Orndorff video. After drilling and clecoing the canopy to the frame I had to squeeze the frame in a little since the Plexiglas spreads it when attached. Fit it so that the the canopy can move fore and aft freely in the slide tracks. Later on I found out that something had moved somewhere because when I installed the right side skirt and skirt brace (C-791), it became clear that I had to take the frame off and take some of the curve out of the side bow. Fortunately, that made the right side skirt snug up against the fuselage side nicely without skewing dimensions elsewhere.

Fitting the side skirts wasn?t much trouble except for the right side bow discussed above. Be sure to trim the forward lower notch in the side skirt before you try sliding the canopy so you won?t scratch your canopy deck paint. Follow Orndorff on this part.

Like most builders, I dreaded the rear skirt installation just from hearing all the misery. But if the frame is where it should be, and the canopy is in place where it should be, then they?re not too difficult. The trick that worked for me was to cut the sheet metal oversize and then run the skirt through a slip roller at an angle (again, the slip roller was a borrowed tool). Nothing precise: maybe 45 degrees and feed the lower end of the skirt in first. Make opposing skirts, of course. The rollers don?t have to be too tight ? you don?t want a small radius - you can eyeball this to pretty closely match the turtledeck curve. Stop and back the skirt out of the slip roller about 12-15 inches from the top end since this end doesn?t need to be curved. If you keep going, you?ll make the skirt look like a curly-fry at Arby?s and the back edge won?t lay down on the top of the turtle deck.

When you lay the roller-formed skirt down across the gap, you'll be surprised that you have a pretty nice fit.

Orndorff says to use ?keeper? rivets in between the pop rivet holes in the rear bow to hold the canopy in place while fitting the skirt which is a good idea, but I think that limits your options to disassemble and paint later on. I used good quality masking tape instead around the entire perimeter to hold the canopy on the frame while I drilled the skirt in place following Orndorff?s measure-to-the-hole technique. I also propped the canopy open at the front, but I didn?t put spacers under the pin blocks like Orndorff suggests. I might do it that way if I had it to do all over again.

As suggested everywhere, pull pretty hard on the lower front edge of the rear skirt to make it lay down flush to the turtle deck while drilling ? use this ?pull? technique for each and every hole after clecoing the first 3 or 4 holes out from the center of the canopy frame at the top. Once I got down to the rivets attaching the side and rear skirts together, I adapted the rivet pattern to suit the installation which is not per the plans. I also cut a notch about ?? x 4? in the lower rear part of the side skirt and used the slip roller to curve the lower rear of the side skirt inward over the canopy deck before drilling the skirts together to help keep the side/rear skirt junction snug up to the fuse/turtledeck junction; this notch is covered by the lower part of the rear skirt. But that didn?t work perfectly either ? I still had to apply the shrinker in a few places including the usual place at the lower back side of the rear skirts so they?d lay down on the side of the turtle deck as it curves away from the fuselage.

I said the process was not too bad but I made two right rear skirts and three on the left; I also had to make 3 side skirts in total. It took me that much trial and error to catch on to the geometry of it.

Recap: Review Orndorff, make the frame fit as per Van?s even if you have to cut it and weld it, run the rear skirts through a slip roller, be prepared to buy and cut more sheet aluminum than you?d like to, and be prepared to learn to use a shrinker.

And tools, as always, can solve problems. Most builders haven?t spent $2k + on a tig welder (mine was an ancient P&H 300 amp Frankenstein machine), or have access to slip rollers, shrinkers, and tubing benders. I?d make new friends and try to reciprocate when possible. I weld stuff for friends from time to time and they let me use their shears and slip rollers and tubing benders.

As far as the windshield? Fiberglass. I thought seriously about making it in aluminum, but overall, it looks like glass is the best way to do it.

Good luck.

...he was suggesting a jig to use for bending the frame..but when I figured out how to do it right, the joy of building started coming back.

Great post and idea, Don!

After two weeks of frustration trying to follow Van's instructions for bending the frame I tried Don's jig method and it worked great. I always default to Van's instructions and only deviate cautiously but this wasn't going well.

I used one sheet of 3/4" 2'x4' MDF and multiple small blocks of 3/4 plywood. Traced both front roll bar and rear turtle deck profile on the same sheet. Screwed the MDF to the bench to keep it from sliding on hard pulls. It only took about an hour to do the actual bending for each bow!

IMG_5352.JPG