AX-O

Well Known Member
I am in the process of inventorying my fuse kit. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the following items:

-AT6-058X5/16X18 (F-447)
-AT6-058X3/4X4? (F-689/840)
-F-818B-L-1 & F-818B-R-1 (Baggage Rib Angle)
-F-815C-L-1 & F-815C-R-1 (Outboard Seat Angle)

Could you please post pics of the parts? I must be blind. Thanks in advance.

Axel, these are probably stock pieces that you get to cut the needed items out of.

First two appear to be flat stock, .058 thick, 5/16" wide, 18" long, and .058 X 3/4 X 48.

Have you inventoried angle, flat, and bar stock etc yet??

Here's some

Not sure about the F-447 or F-689. I looked long and hard at the drawings but didn't spot them. I have photos of the other bits but they are already installed with others so hard to point out to you easily. AT = aluminium tube, usually, so long for round stuff!

However,

F-840 is the smaller of the two elevator pushrods which you can see on dwg#79.

F-818B is the baggage rib angles - about 2ft long with a 'tab' at one end, pre-punched angle. Check upper left corner of dwg#71.

F-815C are the seat rib angles and get riveted to the skin on each outboard side of the seat floor assembly. Check out the main isometric view on dwg#69.

Hope that helps some...

More to add

I started getting worried there: I had marked off my two F447 tubes but ouldn't find them! Now I have: they're 2x 5/16" plain aluminium tubes about 18" long.

Still not sure about that F-689 though. I suspect it is a shared part number with the -8A or perhaps some other model RV. I just cut that elevator pushrod tube to length the other day and there certainly isn't enough left over to make anything else with! I can't find F-869 on the drawings either (then again, I couldn't find F-447 too!).

Ten Tips for you:-

1. Do yourself a big favour and do the gear mod on the bench rather than think you can do ok without it and then be 'forced' to do it later anyway!

2. You'll need to dig out an 8-32 UNC tap and 1/4"-28 UNF tap for later in the project.

3. If you don't have a 90 degree drill or drill attachment, you're gonna need one!

4. You'll need a 7/16" drill bit for the gear legs. Make it a good one: those wear plates are a bitch and will work harden in an instant. Slow speed, lots of pressure, lots of coolant or cutting fluid.

5. Do the fuel and vent tubes before you put the side skins on. You may want/need to purchase fuel pump and filter if you want to do those now. The tubes that go through the gear tower need to be made in place: you can't get them in there once you've put the fittings on! (and no, I realised that before I put them on). When making the tubes you'll need a tube cutter, tube bender and flaring tool. Make sure you use oil on the falring tool cone *every* time.

6. When drilling the F-844 auxiliary longerons *make sure* you can see your lines. I didn't: figured they were trapped by the gear tower and can't move so can't be that far out, right? Wrong: I had to buy another one!

7. When clamping up the WD-808-PC seatback frame make certain to clamp it tightly to the sides of the fuse before drilling. Otherwise edge distance issues occur with that, the cockpit rails and the spacers. I bought a new frame, and cockpit rail and spacer for one side as a result! Ouch $$$$.

8. You'll need a 3/8" drill bit, I forget what for but I see it listed on my expenses!

9. Make sure to have a digital level and at least four plumb lines, preferably six. If you're like me and what to at least try to get it straight rather than rly on pre-punch holes and good luck, you'll need 'em! Especially for aligning the gear (I went with Grove, Vans might be different, but I doubt it).

10. You'll use LOTS on 3/32" and 1/8" cleco's. Especially the 3/32". I have literally hundreds of both, about three times as many as recommended!

EDIT: two more tips:-

11. Dwg#73 has some errors on it. See my kitlog at 09-June-2007 linked here...
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=jpreou&project=45&category=2153&log=35967&row=155

12. The instructions to final drill #12 in the F-812 bulkhead when fitting the vert stab through the bulkhead and tailwheel weldment. This would be correct for an AN3 bolt, but the plans (dwg#73, dated 11/15/05) show AN4 bolts, which would require a 1/4" hole. I checked with Vans; they should be drilled out to 1/4" for AN4 bolts; they are going to update the instructions.

Good luck, its fun, especially when you fit the emp the first time and start working on the controls :)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Jeff,
Thank you very much for all that information. I am overwhelmed with the number of parts. Couple that to the fact that all the drawings are new to me and you get a very confused individual. I keep telling myself "I can do this, many before me have".

Axel, is there an EAA chapter out there in no mans land??? Or some other source of RV knowledge?? Sounds like you need a bit of "start up" coaching:)

If not, there are a couple of guys in Rosamond (Rosie or Groucho) who could help you. Should be a fun trip in the 140.

Hang in there.

Mike,
I am in the process of starting an EAA chapter in town. A few guys are building RVs and we have an EAA TA. I don't doubt my ability to build the plane. Is just that I have never seen the parts/plans before, therefore a lot of mystery remains. Kind of like when you first start on the tail feathers and you don't know much about it. Or when you first start on the wings and then figure out you have 100,002 ribs that are the same and it should not be a big deal.

So many pieces

Yep, I know how you feel; when I unpacked mine I looked at all the parts and thought "what on earth have I got myself into?". Its not so bad though. The new instructions are *much* better and you can just plod through slowly; eventually it all starts to come together!

I've found its those little mods and deviations from the plans that cost so much extra time and frustration. In my case, the Andair FS20-20x3 fuel selector with return lines to each tank caused me a load of extra time making funny shaped tubes. Then there's the Grove gear and I have yet to look forward to the biggie: the Tom Clark fastback mod; I even have to cut a drill my own top skin out of a flat sheet of 8'x4' for that: scary!

Don't worry though, you'll really enjoy the fuse. Since I've gone before you, you might find my kitlog occassionally useful. Feel free to send me email and if you need bigger pictures than kitlog shows the originals are all 2048x1536. I can take others of already assembled bits if you are having trouble visualizing something. Good luck!

EDIT: Just remembered, you'll need a 1/4" reamer too for the control stick bushings.

Last edited: