AX-O

Well Known Member
I am just wondering if anyone out there has used RV8 flaps and ailerons on an RV4 wing. Just trying to save some build time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think they'll fit...

Hi Axel!
The -7/8 wing is slightly longer, thus one or both of these items has to be different. But, I do think the flaps and ailerons for a -6 will work. You use to could buy these in QB (read already built) form from Van's. Had a friend who bought a flap like this to replace a twisted one. Not sure if they are still available, but might be worth checking! Also, lots of -6 parts out there!!
Good luck!

Yes on the ailerons. I was not completely satisfied with on of the ailerons I built for my RV-4 and called to order the materials to build another one. Van's told me that the RV-8 and RV-4 ailerons were the same and I could purchase one that was already built. I did and it work grate. Hope this helps.

Hi Axel!
The -7/8 wing is slightly longer, thus one or both of these items has to be different. But, I do think the flaps and ailerons for a -6 will work.
Actually, the -7/8 wing is shorter than the -4 wing. The RV-4 and RV-8 both have a 23 ft span if fitted with the original style wing tips. The 24 ft span that Van now lists for the RV-8 is with the new wing tips, but the length of the metal portion of the wing has not changed. The RV-8 has a wider fuselage than the RV-4, so the RV-8 wing is a few inches shorter than the RV-4 wing.

Yes on the ailerons. I was not completely satisfied with on of the ailerons I built for my RV-4 and called to order the materials to build another one. Van's told me that the RV-8 and RV-4 ailerons were the same and I could purchase one that was already built. I did and it work grate. Hope this helps.

That helps. Thank you!