jchang10

Well Known Member
I was once told that two RV's could somehow fit inside of a single t-hangar. Instead of 2 RV's, it could have been a high-wing cessna type plane and a low-wing RV.

Can anyone confirm this? Just curious what size hangar was required, and possibly if photos are even available?

Thanks,
Jae

At our local airport, the FBO operator hosts a small aerobatic competition during the summer. I've personally seen a Cessna 172 and two Pitts's all fit into a standard T-hagar (door was able to close, but it was a tight fit).

I would imagine that you could fit two RV's (non -10's) into a standard hangar by staggering the wings and/or turning them somewhat sideways, but I've never actually seen anyone try it.

It depends

Jae,

It really depends on the size of the T-hangar. I had a Pitts S-1 and a Citabria in a small T (39' wide). The Pitts fit under the wing of the Citabria, but to get the Citabria out, you had to push the Pitts out first. Here in Livermore you see all sorts of off sharing arrangements. The high-wing low-wing combo is generally ideal for sharing, but again it really depends on what type of plane(s) and what size hangar. Most high wings have struts which will get in the way, which can make sharing difficult.

As Mike said, you could probably fit two 2-place RV's in a small/medium sized T-hangar, but I doubt the -10, with its ~32' span, would fit with much of anything else unless the hangar were fairly large.

One more thing to keep in mind... sharing sometimes forces you to move one airplane to get another one out. If the airplane you are moving is heavy, or the person moving it careless, sharing can be more trouble than it is worth. Just my $.02.

I was once told that two RV's could somehow fit inside of a single t-hangar. Instead of 2 RV's, it could have been a high-wing cessna type plane and a low-wing RV. Can anyone confirm this? Just curious what size hangar was required, and possibly if photos are even available?

If I recall correctly, the hangars at DCU are 36x44 and Bob Butler and I can easily get our -6's (and one large R/C plane) in the hangar:

399sb_tucked_in.jpg

(Ahhh....hangin' at the airport watching the runway lights twinkle....quality time.........(Garrett Smith photo))

For a short time I had my RV-6 in one of these hangars with an Arrow, and even though it was tight, there was a way to fit both planes.

Last edited:
Don't know for sure

But I seriously doubt you would get 2* RV's in a Tee hangar.

I was trying to do the same thing with my Zodiac (taking a while to sell it) and there was no way I could make it happen unless I took the wings off one of the airplanes.

You could buy a lift but a new hangar is chaeper around here.

Frank

I started out sharing a standard T-hanger (42' door) with a Cessna 152 while building my RV-8. I originally thought they would both go in the hanger but later realized that they wouldn't, not even that close. The "T" cut-outs in the back really limit what you can do.

Karl

Can be done

There was an RV-4 guy at San Carlos, CA (Ed?) with two -4's in a standard Tee. Both RVs had mains on a tracked dolly system that allowed the aircraft to be pushed in an out of the hangar sideways. Ecah track was about 10" apart and each dolly (one under each tire) had a low ramp so you could easily push the aircraft up. Cant the tailwheel at 90 degrees and push it in. Rolling resistence was almost nill. They were nose-to-nose side-to-side, with the wings front-to-back. Not much room between the spinners but it was the coolest arrangement I've seen.

Jim

Years ago, when I had my Grumman AA1B (about the size of a -6A), I shared a "T" with a Tri-Q. Since the Tri didn't have a horizontal tail, there wasn't a problem in the narrow part of the "T", and my wing was just the right height to go between his wing and canard. A very slick arrangment....but it was still very tight.

Paul

Last edited:
Jim P said:
There was an RV-4 guy at San Carlos, CA (Ed?) with two -4's in a standard Tee. Both RVs had mains on a tracked dolly system that allowed the aircraft to be pushed in an out of the hangar sideways. Ecah track was about 10" apart and each dolly (one under each tire) had a low ramp so you could easily push the aircraft up. Cant the tailwheel at 90 degrees and push it in. Rolling resistence was almost nill. They were nose-to-nose side-to-side, with the wings front-to-back. Not much room between the spinners but it was the coolest arrangement I've seen.

Jim

I think Ed's over at Hayward now, if you're referring to the same guy. He's still got the -4 in there on the tracks and has a smaller racer on the other side. I'm on the row across from him. My -7A is being built along side a Legacy. We've measured and it looks like both will fit in the tee with the wings on. We'll find out soon because it's almost time for my wings to be attached.

-Rick

We get two RV-4's into one standard "T" hanger. I think the opening is about 40 feet??? Maybe 44 feet and I think the "T" part is 18 feet wide and starts about 18 feet back from the door. We roll both into the hanger and the one on the right has a ramp about 5 inches high under the left wheel to allow the other's horizontal stabilizer & elivator to pass under the left wing. Maybe I'll try to get some accurate measurements and maybe a picture. That will be a first for me trying to get a picture in here. Anyway, the one with the ramp has to be put in first (and taken out last). Works pretty well.

jchang10 said:
I was once told that two RV's could somehow fit inside of a single t-hangar. Instead of 2 RV's, it could have been a high-wing cessna type plane and a low-wing RV.

Can anyone confirm this? Just curious what size hangar was required, and possibly if photos are even available?

Thanks,
Jae
Yes, it can be done. I have seen it.

The people doing it had a ramp for one of the mains of one of the RVs. This raised the wingtip of one over the other. I also think there was a winch to pull the one that was assigned the "ramp".

James

I own a Cessna 120 and a RV-6, and hangar both planes in one T-hangar. It is very tight and planes must be moved very carefully, but it works. I'd have to play around with it, but I don't see how two RV airplanes would fit, unless one of them was on some kind of lifting device.

Bob Severns

There was an arrangement similar to what JClark described at Troutdale, OR. They built a platform and ramp for one RV-6A and used a winch to pull it up. The second -6A was on the ground floor, of course. If you want to invest some $ you can get the lift they show on Van's site & put one above the other.

Well, I forgot the camera today. However I did get the measurements of our hanger. We place two RV-4's into one standard hanger. The dimensions of our hanger are: 40 feet at the widest (door also opens the 40 feet. The widest section (front) goes back 18 feet. The back center section is 20 feet wide and about 14 feet deep.

We do not use a winch to run the one gear up onto the ramp. We've designed the ramp to raise the left main gear approximately 5 to 6 inches and the ramp is approximately 3 feet long with the top flat area approximately 18 inches.

We use a longer tail wheel axle bolt with a spacer on each side and have made a tow bar that fits over the axle bolt head and nut to tow the airplanes into and out of the hanger. This system works very well. By placing the first airplane as far to the left (looking from outside the hanger) with the left gear onto the ramp leaves enough room to put the second airplane in and running the horizontal stabilizer and elivator under the left wing of the first airplane. Also the second airplane is not moved as far back into the hanger as the first because the two wings would touch. This ends up with staggared wings but leaves enough room to walk around the first airplane between the door and spinner and around the right side of the hanger to the rear of the hanger.

yes

I've got a 1971 Grumman AA-1A and my friend has a yellow -6a... They both fit in the hanger with about 8 inches to spare.. If you look at a T.... mine has the tail tucked into the left side of the T and the -6a is backed into the bottom of the T on the lower rt side...Gotta get dimensions though to see if your's fit's
Brian Wallis
N357BW reserved

Any photos?

I know this is an old thread, but I think more pertinent in these times... Anyone has a photograph for an arrangement (2 RVs in T hangar) that they are willing to share?

Yes in a 48 foot T

My RV7A is in with an RV6 in a 48 foot Tee hangar.
Each craft can get out without disturbing the other.

The RV7A is nosed into the corner and the RV6 is tail into the corner.

There are other hangars at the field that are smaller and would have a problem with 2 RVs but at least one has a 6A rooming with a sonex. In that case, I think the RV has has to come out to get the sonex out but I'm not positive on that point.

Standard Tee

Measure carefully. Out here the standard tee hangars come in different sizes. Nothing standardized about them!

Dave

Standard Tee

Indeed Dave.

I was interested in knowing about 40 feet T hangars (where a feet or so is lost due to stacked doors).

Thanks to all who replied

It *can* be done. But, it's tight!
IMG_1646.jpg

Thought about doing this to save a few bucks. As it turns out, hangars are great for storing stuff and working on stuff. Easily worth the $100 a month it would save me.