mculver

Well Known Member
The elevator skin for my RV-9 has a couple of "smilies" that seem to have appeared when I pried the skin open to debur holes for the stiffeners. Anyone know of a way to remove these? They look like "new skin required"...

Click here for a full-size version (this one is too small to really show the wrinkle).

IMG_2916.jpg

Just a suggestion not a recommendation. If it's really small and at the bottom run a light weight stiffener through the wrinkle and forget about it. Painter will take care of the rest :). Judges at Oshkosh won't even notice it. You will have enough items to buy during the build.

careful to keep from making it worse...

It is difficult to see just how much of a crease you have from the photos but you can use your rivet gun with a flush rivet set on low pressure to tap the high side of the ding using a steel plate or bucking bar to back the skin... just be careful that you don't end up making it worse. It is nearly impossible to completely fix it but you can clean it up pretty easily... final paint prep will likely be able to hide it effectively.

I had one of those...

It bothered me enough to replace it. Safety is NOT a concern with a crease like that. I just knew that I would be flying along one day thinking...I should have replaced that when I had the chance. I'm glad I did. Yeah, it cost 80 bucks but what the heck.
On the other hand, a good body person will make that disappear without a problem. Your call;)

Just a suggestion not a recommendation. If it's really small and at the bottom run a light weight stiffener through the wrinkle and forget about it. Painter will take care of the rest :). Judges at Oshkosh won't even notice it. You will have enough items to buy during the build.
Totally concur with Vlad, move on :) Rosie

The elevator skin for my RV-9 has a couple of "smilies" that seem to have appeared when I pried the skin open to debur holes for the stiffeners. Anyone know of a way to remove these? They look like "new skin required"...

Click here for a full-size version (this one is too small to really show the wrinkle).

IMG_2916.jpg

If you think you are going to toss it, try this....... Lay the part crease down on a phone book and then take a table spoon and rub the crease from the inside. Start in the center of the crease and go with the crease working to the ends fanning back an forth. Go easy, it wont take much.

Good luck.

Excellent suggestion! Just tried the spoon and it really worked. Thanks!

If you think you are going to toss it, try this....... Lay the part crease down on a phone book and then take a table spoon and rub the crease from the inside. Start in the center of the crease and go with the crease working to the ends fanning back an forth. Go easy, it wont take much.

Good luck.

Excellent suggestion! Just tried the spoon and it really worked. Thanks!

We used to go "JEEPIN" in the 70's on the Rubicon trail and others. The most fun we had was solving issues along the way.

Glad to hear that you salvaged your part.

We used to go "JEEPIN" in the 70's on the Rubicon trail and others. The most fun we had was solving issues along the way.

Glad to hear that you salvaged your part.

Is this the same technique used by the dent people for hail damage on cars?

E.