WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
I bought a mid time IO360B1E off a Piper Arrow for my RV6A. Going over it, I noticed this extra oil line welded onto the normal oil return line from left rear cylinder head to the sump. I have no idea what purpose it served. Anyone know what this would have been for? I didn't notice it until after I put on a new Superior cold air sump to point the fuel servo horizontal forward rather than backwards like it was on the Arrow.
Thanks.

20090112_150128.jpg
[/IMG]

Can't see your picture, but from your description, my guess would be that it's a drain-back from an air/oil separator.

Yep!

I'll stand by my first guess. A return line from air/oil separator.

Not only is Mel right, as usual, but that IS an approved way to route oil back into a Lyc. If you aren't gonna use it for anything, I personally would fab up a new tube.

It might be approved, but it sure looks like a cheesy way to do it.

It is kind of amazing some of the things that get approved and other common sense things do not. Must be the law of averages at work...:p

Thanks for the feedback

It is a very substantial weld and for a line returning oil to the sump from an oil/air separator I am comfortable with it and may incorporate it into my oil/air separator when I get that far unless I discover a better way beforehand. It sure is a simple task to create a new oil return tube without this added line. Being one of the newer builders here I really appreciate everyone's interest in helping with advice.

I've seen lotsa Walker returns like that. For Connies they drill a hole in a rocker cover. It works, too bad the separator itself doesn't work. Separators are usually just a cover-up for bad jug walls. On long flights they often just get overwhelmed. A good lyc. should go at least 15 on a quart. Really good ones can go 25hrs/qt.

I just put an IOX-360 with "M" sump together this week-end. I think #4 on the left side is an ECI #AEL68761. Call Jessy up at A.E.R.O. and till him what you need and he'll send you one, without the return line on it!
Yours as always R.E.A.

I just put an IOX-360 together these last couple of weekends. I think the number 4 jug on the left side is an ECI #AEL68761. I would call Jessie at aero or Joe Prahota at ECI and tell them what you need They will send you one without the return pipett tigged to it.
It in all our interest to keep these guys working. Sorry about the post last night, I don't use this thing as often as I should.. R.E.A.

$14 gets me a new one so thats that.

That was a good suggestion about getting a new one. Thanks. I didn't realize there are so many views on using an air/oil separator. I'll have to work that out in my mind.