jantar

He is flying an RV-8 with a Franklin engine. I sent him an e-mail to his yahoo.com account but with no reply. I am considering putting a Franklin engine in an RV-7 and I would like to talk to him soon. I need to make a final decission on the engine in the next week or so.

Don't know his current email, but...

I asked him about his Franklin installation 3 or 4 years ago, and this was his reply:

My machine is the 254th RV-8 kit sold by Van. It was
a slow build that I initially ordered in December
1996. I drilled the first hole in aluminum on 5-1-97.
I know, I could have started the tail sooner, but I
waited to go pick up both tail, and wings together
when the wing kit was ready. At the time, wing kits
were a little slow to be ready.
I decided to use Franklin
power before I even started construction. I knew that
building an airplane, even an RV, was going to be a
pretty formidable endeavor.
At first, I thought I`d build a light weight little
tube and rag puddle jumper type machine....I`ve
already got a fast, cross-country cruiser, (Bonanza
V35A) what do I need another "fast" airplane for. Then
I went to Arlington `96 and saw Van`s prototype RV-8.
You know, the blue one, AKA Franklinstein. At the
time, it was Lycoming IO-360 powered. One look was all
it took. Ever since I rode with Van in the back seat
of his RV-4 prototype, back about 1981 or so, I`d been
an admirer of RVs. Seeing that first RV-8 though
really got me fired up. No lousy tubes and rags for
this cowboy. Anyway, I figured if I was going
to go to all the trouble to build a cool little sport
plane, it was going to sound, and perform as cool as
it looked. The performance was going to come from
power to weight ratio....a 220 Franklin would supply
the cool sound. So much for the idea.....
I couldn`t be more pleased with
how the wt/bal came out. My empty weight is comparable
to other IO-360 Lycoming powered RV-8s. 1110 lbs.
Actually lighter than some. My empty CG is just inside
the fwd limit. I had been told all along that I was
facing a "serious" weight penalty, (which turned out
to not exist) so I was careful to minimize adding
anything that would tend to move my CG fwd. Skytec lt
wt starter, Ellison pressure carb, miniature Nippon
Dinko 40 amp alternator, Hammerhead aluminum gear,
delete the gascolator, etc, etc. I guess it all paid
off.... No, I didn`t use anybody elses FWF kit. At
the time, none existed. I tried to get help with the
engine mount, but got basically nowhere. Ditto for the
exhaust manifolds. Those are the two biggies in any
engine swap. When push came to shove, I was on my own.
By then Van had converted 118RV into Franklinstein, so
at least there was another one out there I could go
look at. Many thanks to Phil Dyke for his patient
indulgence during repeated photo visits to the proto
type shop. Here`s a tip....Never visit Van`s without a
loaded camera. You never know what you might get a
load of. Long story short, I did it all
myself....twice. A local buddy is almost ready to fly
his 220 Franklin RV-8 using my 2nd mount, and exhaust
stacks. His config is very similar to mine with the
exception of prop, and gear legs. And he`s 10 lbs
lighter yet. I`d be happy to help any
way I can if you decide to go this route. I believe
it`s a good combination, and definately a viable
alternative to the mainstream Lycoming. As SGT Hunter
used to say, "Hey, it works for me".
Dave Brand N254LF

Is this is?

BRAND DAVID E
Street PO BOX 136
City TOUCHET State WASHINGTON Zip Code 99360-0136
County WALLA WALLA
Country UNITED STATES

Franklin /PZL Engine in RV

My RV8 has a Franklin 220 engine and a MC CS prop. I love it ! Very smooth and lots of power. About 20 lbs heavier than my buddies RV8 with an IO360 and fixed pitch prop. Good fuel economy as well.

Gary

Great to hear from you Gary! I've just been able to get in touch with David on his RV-8 this week thru email.

I'd be willing to bet that if you had a fixed pitch prop on yours, YOU would be LIGHTER! That MC CS probably weighs in a good 50 or 60 pounds, I would guess.

Did you work the FWF stuff yourself, or did you have the mount done for you? Exhaust from where? I've got a ton of questions...

:D

Keeping it running

Gary,
I am also looking into this engine. Any concerns on parts and service? The only web site I find is www.franklinengines.com. They don't appear to answer their phone much so info is hard to come by.
If a viable source of engines and parts are around I would consider this for my RV7

Regards,
JD

JD, the website you refer to, as I've come to find out as well, IS NOT Franklin Engines. I've left several messages and several emails, none are returned. I've talked to the new owners of Franklin in Poland, and they are not associated with the people in Colorado.

The real Franklin is tooling up for production of new engines later this year. They won't be at Sun N Fun due to the new rules, and would not allow them to have the same spot inside that they had last year. They will be at Oshkosh this summer.

Other good news is that the factory is planning to buy an RV this summer to work on FWF stuff for RV's. They will also be providing parts and service, but not sure yet where.

RVator article

Van did a prototype Franklin installation in a RV-8 and flew it but decided not to offer the Franklin as a official option. RVator article on it a few years ago. Besides the greater weight already mentioned, the reported 220 hp is in doubt and probably inflated based on performance Van's Aircraft observed. On the plus side as others have mentioned, its smooth. A small relative displacement per jug on a 6-cylinder v. 4-cylinder engine tends to be smoother.

What does their FWF package cost (including engine mount)?

* It's only 350 cu-in. Claimed 220HP happens @ 2,800 rpm. The intake is clearly not tuned. If a IO360 with angle valves and tuned intake is rated at 200 HP, I don't doubt the Franklin makes more than 200 hp. I believe it makes closer to an honest 190 hp. Van's reason for not continuing I recall was it did not perform as well as expected for +200 hp engine, even accounting for extra weight. TBO is 1500 hours v. 2000 hours for the Lyc. A friend has a Stinson, Franklin powered. It works just fine.

Last edited:
There is no FWF available right now. Those that have done it, are doing it on their own. The people in Colorado don't exist as far as I can tell. I've been trying since March to get a return call or email...no dice.

I did talk to the real Franklin Engines at Oshkosh this summer, and the engine brand new will cost about $18k for the 220. That's not everything, just the engine, but it's a better (still not good) price.

BTW...the engine is not quite 220hp. IIRC, that number comes from the helicopter version that spins at 3000rpm. I asked the guys at Franklin about putting 8.5:1 pistions in it (it's standard 10:1). Here's an email from Maciej (the TC holder) about running the engine with lower compression pistons...

Yes you can order the engine with the 8.5:1 pistons except the horse power will be between 180-190hp. They are exactly the same pistons except modified to the 8.5:1 compression.

Best Regards,

Maciej Smolinski
Franklin Engines Manager
[email protected]
+48 667-677-327

Franklin engines in Poland will assist with engine mount needs...