ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I came home from the airport, making my first flight after being gone for four months.

My wife sits on my lap and asks me how it went. I tell her in my usual gushing RV flying verbiage.

She hugs me and tells me that I smell so nice. I said "I just got back from the airport." She says "Yeah, you smell like airplanes!!!"

WOW!! Even after 32 years of marriage she still knows how to say the right things, at the right times!!

Sigh..... :)

Nice

There is something magical about that smell and it doesn't matter where you are - all airplanes and hangars everywhere smell the same. I was introduced to airplanes when I was 4yo. To this day, that smell immediately brings me back to that first flight in a Piper Tri-Pacer. It's great that you have someone to share that with - you're a lucky guy! :)

yep, reminds me of my dad when we were kids. when he came home from work and we sat on his lap he smelled like the 'factory'. :rolleyes:

I can't figure out why - but my Grumman still has that smell. I call it the "new airplane" smell ... despite it being 40 yrs old. My 7a, tho, doesn't have it - even when it WAS new. It's something I've never been able to put my finger on...