grenwis

Can a wi-fi iPad with Bad Elf or GNS 5870 GPS provide NMEA output to my Trio Avionics autopilot?

Rick Grenwis

Last edited:
Not really

Short answer: No. Not right now.

Longer answer: It could be possible down the road but at this point it wouldn't be reliable enough in my opinion. Apple's system doesn't allow for many options in outputting data. Several companies are using wifi to talk to the ipad (like for adsb or wxworks), but I don't think this is reliable enough for a autopilot system.

Christopher.

There is now an approved RS-232 Serial cable for the iPad. However, it would still requirevthe App vendor to code to data into the rightvformat and code to the serial interface.

The market/demand may still be too small to prioritize the work.

There are now several apps for the iPad 3G, which has a GPS chip, that send and receive NMEA 0183 data packets like NMEAremote. The marine industry is further along on it than the aviation industry because aviation spends more on sophisticated avionics and is more tightly regulated.

While the iPad and its apps are not certified and you can't fly IFR with them, for VFR flight it is just a guide. Experimental aircraft are authorized to connect NMEA portable devices to autopilots. Instead of checking the altimeter and DG while adjusting the controls, you check the altimeter and DG while the autopilot adjusts them. It's no less safe unless you cease to scan.

The Trutrack Digitrak is just one of the many autopilots that can accept NMEA data. Most recent autopilots do. http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/documents/DigitrakInstallandUserGuide1.pdf

Aviation was built on pushing the frontiers. This is hardly a shot through the sound barrier, but we should explore it for its potential to general aviation. It will be an incredible savings over more expensive avionics for the rec and experimental pilot, who can also enjoy all the other capabilities of an $800 iPad when not flying. ;)

Last edited:
iPad App

Cyberbiker,

I checked the app you referred to and it is, according to the examples and explanation, a marine only app. The original poster plus a friend of mine is interested in driving an aviation autopilot with an iPad. That app doesn't appear to be programmed for flying the friendly skies.
If you have more info, post it, otherwise the simple answer again is "NO", your iPad can't drive an autopilot today.
Enlighten us please!

Several people I know that have been loyal Apple consumers have recently s__t canned their IPods do to "lack of functionality" issues. Seems their are a few things MS and Open Source does better. Frankly I've always thought Steve Jobs had a pact with the devil.

Several people I know that have been loyal Apple consumers have recently s__t canned their IPods do to "lack of functionality" issues. Seems their are a few things MS and Open Source does better. Frankly I've always thought Steve Jobs had a pact with the devil.

I am sure you have seen the comercial

to a CEO.....its Powerful
to a child....its Magic
to me.........its iCrap

Its a screen toy. It has its uses and for LSA I think it has its place. but still to me....its iCrap

Cyberbiker, I checked the app you referred to and it is, according to the examples and explanation, a marine only app.
Mike, that's like saying Wi-fi, Bluetooth, TCP-IP or a RS232 standards are marine only.

Check out the Wikipedia explanation of the NMEA 0183 standard. Although the National Marine Electronics Association did create the standard. Virtually every aviation autopilot released in the past three years has included the ability to respond to NMEA packets and address NMEA settings. It's not because the manufacturers are planning for their aviation autopilots to be used by boat skippers.

For example, Pages 5 thru 7 of the TruTrak Digitrak Installation & User Guide provides specific NMEA settings to connect with several Garmin, Magellan, GPS 92, Lowrance and AvMap GPS devices. All the iPad 3G is just another low end GPS device. The Bendix AV8OR FAQ titled "Can I connect my unit to my autopilot?" also addresses NMEA communications.

There is a lot of technological change in flight information devices and systems today. If you're wary of change, just wait a while and enjoy the benefits after others who consider exploration exciting forge the way. ;)

Last edited: