izzybear

Well Known Member
Friend
I need some help deciding whether or not I should go with the tall pilot option. First, I am proportioned so that my height is in my torso, and my legs are not that long (36? inseam). The reason I am leaning towards the tall pilot option is this ? I understand that the tall pilot option moves the top of the pilot seat slightly further back ?Well, to comfortably drive a car/suv, I usually find myself reclining the seat back more than usual in order to comfortably sit/see, otherwise my head is too close to the roof and my vision is hampered by the visor, sun shading strip, rear-view mirror, etc. On the flip side - I know that Van?s says the tall pilot option is for people, 6?6? or above and that I am (only) 6? 4? and I don?t want to cut into the rear-seater?s space if I can help it, and I don?t want to hamper the egress/ingress for the GIB unless its? for a good reason also. Even though I would imagine I will be flying solo about 80% of the time. What I would really like is an adjustable seat back?but that is for another discussion. :D

I have done research here on VAF but the only way to see if I fit, is to get in and "see if I fit"? :) I would like to try one on for size with the tall pilot option, and maybe have my wife along to sit in back. I would be happy to meet you as I am in the DFW metroplex so anywhere in/under (or near) the DFW class Bravo airspace would be fine with me, I don't mind driving or flying to you.

Feel free to reply, PM or email me at: jamesnovak23 at gmail dot com

I'd call Jay over @ RV Central! Quick flight (or drive) over there, and he has an awesome -8.

I know Jay well...

Thanks Gary - I know Jay and "borrowed horse" well... but Jay doesn't have the tall pilot option installed on borrowed horse, so that doesn't help. I have sat in 2 "regular" 8's, now I need to test fit a tall pilot option 8 :)

You'd probably fit just fine in the "normal pilot" RV-8. You definitely want the fully adjustable (sometimes called in-flight adjustable) rudder pedals option. I helped a friend build his "normal pilot" RV-8 and he's about 6'4" and fits just fine in the front seat with adequate headroom and the pedals slid almost all the way forward. I'm short, at 5'7" with 36" inseam and fly it with the pedals all the way aft, I have to crane my neck up so see where I'm taxiing, and could really use an extra inch of seat cushion when I fly his -8 from the front seat. It's my understanding that the "tall pilot" option really just ends up giving you more legroom and doesn't do much for headroom, that's why my friend opted for the standard front seat.

This is the plane with him in the front seat:
6312900838_93788abcc9_z.jpg

This is his RV-8 with me in it, sitting up and craning my neck so I could see where I was taxiing while getting ready to depart OSH:
655929.jpg

Another option that would be nice

As i was reading about the tall pilot option it hit me that another option would be nice.......the "Fred Flintstone" option:D You install a retractable door in the floor and use your feet for extra thrust for short field T/O's and superior stopping on short field landings:D It can also be used for landing with a flat tire:eek:

Just pondering....after all that is the cutting edge world of e/ab:)

Hope you find a tall build option -8 Jim!

Two choices at 52F

Izzybear,
In my hanger are two RV-8s. The Doll has standard seating, and Crazy Women has the tall pilot mod installed. You can try both in one place.

EXCELLENT!

Thanks so much Danny!! I will PM you and we can work out a schedule that works for both of us!! That was the scenario I really wanted to pursue - trying on 2 different RV-8's with and without the tall pilot option ? but I thought it was asking too much. :D I look forward to it! I have already sat in the "Doll" once - almost 2 years ago when I was trying to decide on the 7 or the 8 (I guess you know which one I picked). :D But this will be even better! Thanks Danny!