Brantel

Well Known Member
Can I see some pics of the cowl pin system at the rear of the top cowl? I seen some sort of something on the drawing update. What is that?

117vf47.jpg

Last edited:
Mystery Section

the circled area is where the ends of the cowl pins meet, or rather, the insertion point for the cowl pins.
Meade and George
RV1216:)

I figured there was a gap in the hinges, but looks like something goes in their to capture the pin and or make it easy to get to them to pull them with the cowl on????

cowl hinge pins

we don't have anything in that space and nothing on our drawings. are you building a 7 or a 12? the pins go in pretty tight and I don't think a clip is needed. someone will probably tell me I'm wrong though:D
-E-

Picture of hinge pin access

Here is the bottom of the little panel that is held on by two number 8 flathead screws. There is an L bend in the end of the hinge pins and you can see that the little panel captures the L to secure the pins. You don't access the pins thru the oil door on the 12.
650948268_tvsem-M.jpg

Tony

I am building a 7 and saw that and was looking for ideas on how to secure the pins on mine. I use full size rods on mine and they are hard to impossible to get in and out thru the oil door so I am looking for options.

That looks like it will work!

went with camlocks

I fussed with hinge pin for a while and decided I didn't want to have that system to deal with every time I changed the oil. I drilled out the rivets and installed camlock fasteners three inches apart in the cowl. It is not as expensive as Skybolt fasteners and I think will work ok.