pilote999

I have a Lycoming 0-320 D2J (160 HP) to be overhauled. My mechanical shop suggest me to replace my actual crankcase (that is good) by an other good used 0-320 EA1 case? (150 HP) in order to save $1000 (they need a D2J case for a certified engine). Shoud I do it?

What is the difference between 160 HP D2J crankcase and the 150 HP case?

Thanks!

How does it save you a $1000? A factory 160 hp has different bearings than a factory 150hp. An stc'd 160 uses the 150hp case and bearings. You can convert a 150hp E case to a 160hp case for about $1000 but you don't have to.

Last edited:
NO WAY!

May solve there problem,it will create problems for you,there is a fixed end play between crank and case you have two parts,a yellow tag crank?and a yellow tag case,that have played well together for some time,now they want you to brake them up for the sake of a few dollars.Ad in to the mix some 0-320s have small nose bearings some don't. The standard today is factory new limits on crank,case. Rods if they don't tag should be replaced with new.Shops I talk to are tossed 50/50 on new or reground cams /new or reground lifter body's,Cylinders are a thread all to there own.If you got a engine that has gone to TBO and beyond,don't brake it up now.
RHill

What costs $1000 to convert to 160hp? I've been told there is nothing done other than typical updates to old cases. Split nose bearing and good to go....??

Sounds like they need that case and are offering him $1000 for it? Isn't a factory zero time overhaul simply made up of unrelated used parts anyway?

Last edited:
Rules

The original poster is in Canada where the rules are probably more stringent. They probably require a specific part number for the 0 320D, where with an experimental you can mix and match.
I would take the 1k IF the shop will measure the fit of your crank in the new case. The only issue with E series engines is that some of them will not support constant speed props. These are the ones with 0 235 front mains. An experimental 160 hp can be built using the 0 235 front mains.
The advice about the case and crank living together is total nonsense.
Measure the end clearance, two different measurements, and you're good to go.

They offered me the $1000 because they need my case to rebuid a certified engine for another custumer. They told me, because I have a homebuit, they can install an other good case (but not a D2J) and save me dollars with no problems!

They are supposed to choose a good case that is compatible with all my parts (160 HP crank and bearings).

Thanks a lot for your comments!

The original poster is in Canada where the rules are probably more stringent. They probably require a specific part number for the 0 320D, where with an experimental you can mix and match.
I would take the 1k IF the shop will measure the fit of your crank in the new case. The only issue with E series engines is that some of them will not support constant speed props. These are the ones with 0 235 front mains. An experimental 160 hp can be built using the 0 235 front mains.
The advice about the case and crank living together is total nonsense.
Measure the end clearance, two different measurements, and you're good to go.

OK, How about hours,If you know the case you've got is 2300TT and never been cut, the case your getting is on its third or fourth rebuild and is under deck height or darn close how is that a good deal,If the end play is too short it has to be ground and too wide it has to be welded and then ground,Case shops charge $700..ext flat rate, what about the nose bearing,CS option.Certified used cases are worth 3k. Yes you can mate up different parts but in this case why would you want to.This deal stinks to high heaven,I'd pull my parts and go else where just for this suggestion alone.
RHill

Last edited:
The D2J has a little bit of a unique case from what I remember, front gov mount pad at least. Might want to make sure your baffling and such will fit if this is already installed on an aircraft. Personally, I'd stay with the 160hp case if you already own it.

Casing exchange

Raynald

I have an idea which shop is offering you the trade...

If it ain't broke , don't fix it...What you have works, stick to it...

Bon vol..

Bruno
[email protected]

case

The D2J case is special and can only be used for a fixed pitch. I would ask your shop to provide a case that is compatible for either and that way your covered. Cases and cranks are not matched and hopefully you have enough trust in them to provide you with the proper case. Plus my guess is you will save about 5lbs on a std case over the D2J.

Jesse

How to spell Crankcase: DIVCO

I have a Lycoming 0-320 D2J (160 HP) to be overhauled. My mechanical shop suggest me to replace my actual crankcase (that is good) by an other good used 0-320 EA1 case? (150 HP) in order to save $1000 (they need a D2J case for a certified engine). Shoud I do it?

Thanks!

Raynald,
The D2J case is unique as mentioned above with it's forward governor pad. It was a late 70's C-172 engine. Ypu could swap but I wouldn't. You need to know your crankshaft wear tolerances and both cases condition first before diving into an overhaul.
Before I made any decisions I would contact Divco. Their crankcase work is without equal and I have personally sent 4 cases to them with an excellent return product. They can tell you from the serial number what will work and what won't.
If you're overhauling and planning to keep it, sending your case to them is a good idea anyway.

http://www.divcoinc.com/

V/R
Smokey

Thanks!

SO,............What did you decide to do?

Just shipped my cases off to Divco this afternoon per Smoky's recommendation (and others!). Looking forward to their suggestions. Hope there aren't any problems with them!