mill2978

Well Known Member
One of my ribs ended up with a hole that was double drilled. This is on the leading edge of the outboard most rib on the right wing. The skin is fine, it is only the rib.

Can I place doubler underneath it, use another technique to repair it, or is it time to order a new rib?
20131230_153600.jpg

In the photo you can see a 1097 4-4 "oops" rivet that I was considering trying to use, but I don't think that will work.

Thanks for the help

Build On

I'd just install the oops rivet and build on. I most certainly would not buy another rib. Keep on truckin'

I'd probably dremel off the mis-drilled part, fabricate a replacement with a similar bend from sheet and rivet that to the rib securely (at least three places). Then, match drill to the new piece and keep building.

Dan

If this is your first mistake, shell out the $25 and buy a new rib. The next time you screw up a tab, cut a section of flange out of this rib and splice it in. Just make sure it's the same or thicker material.

I did it when I mis-drilled a tab on my F-712 aft bulkhead. I needed to shim the tailspring mount anyway, so I just killed two birds with one stone. The material was from a rib or spar I'd screwed up sometime earlier in this adventure. Already had an nice flange bent in...
FP10112013A0004R.jpg

Last edited:
Doubler

I would deburr the fig 8 hole, then dimple the right hole and make a doubler that fits the tab ,out of the same thickness or thicker aluminum sheet .Then sandwich it all together when you get to rivet the rib in place.

replaced

Thanks all for the advice. I needed some other items from Vans and decided to replace the rib rather than repair it.