cjensen

Well Known Member
Come to find out, my strobe wires are too short to reach the power supply where I had it installed (behind the baggage bulkhead). So, I'd like to relocate it here-

11-18-07-003w.jpg

I would make a cover for it, and make sure the high voltage wires are playing by themselves. Anybody see a problem with this? :confused:

exhaust resonance???

my gut feeling is that could be a spot that might aggravate the electronics in the unit. may be fine, not sure, others im sure will chime in.

I had the strobe power supply installed on the center floor tunnel in my last RV, just forward of where you've pictured it. I had no problems with it, other than it getting kicked occasionally. My new RV has the strobe power supply under the baggage floor.

mcb

under baggage floor

Should be OK there but only drawback I see is having to run 3 really fat wires thru the spar... takes up valuable space. Mine's located underneat one of the baggage floors. Of course that meant spending quality time with the nutplate jig putting all those nutplates for the baggage floors!

Three?

Should be OK there but only drawback I see is having to run 3 really fat wires thru the spar... takes up valuable space.

How do you count three fat wires through the spar? Two strobe leads run forward and then out to the wings, but the third strobe wire runs aft to the tail. The power wires are a lot smaller than the shielded strobe wires... unless you have a strobe light in the spinner too? ;)

mcb

Thanks for the quick info guys. I think I'm gonna give this location a go. I'll mount it using grommets for better shock absorbtion. I'll figure out the wire runs...

:cool:

My 2 cents worth

In my RV-9A, there will be nothing on top of that center channel. I'm a pretty big guy, and I need all the room I can get when I climb in and out. I'm quite sure that I would kick that thing at least twice every time I stood up. Why not put it just behind the seat, or in the tailcone somewhere? Just my thoughts....

Picture and location?

How do you count three fat wires through the spar? Two strobe leads run forward and then out to the wings, but the third strobe wire runs aft to the tail. The power wires are a lot smaller than the shielded strobe wires... unless you have a strobe light in the spinner too? ;)

mcb

Matt... the picture shows it ahead of the spar and behind the rudder pedals...

That makes 3 fat wires through the spar to get to the usual wire routing in the wing, as well as the tail location...

Are you assuming it is aft of the spar?

gil A

Chad, I just made this decision myself - actually there wasn't much to decide. I just ordered 40' of strobe cable and amp connectors to make cables long enough. I plan on putting the power supply behind the baggage compartment. Total cost for the new cable and ends - 29.96 shipping included. I was building a 9A, had the gear towers installed and plumping ran, but once I saw how obtrusive the towers were I switched to building a 9. For the same reason I would not locate my strobe power supply in you proposed location.

Todd Neidinger

I can't see how the little power supply will be all that obtrusive, if at all in that location. I can definitely agree with you on the gear towers, but being that I'm 'little', putting stuff in the cabin isn't an issue. I'm not concerned with the room in the least, just functionality.:)

Wire is cheap-Cabin space isn't

Chad,

I have my power supply mounted under the baggage bay floor. It is out of the way and easy to get to if needed.

Cabin space is at a premium in RV's so I would carefully consider whether the center tunnel cover is the best place to put it.

Other considerations. If in the future you decided to go with FI then your proposed location will interfere with the high pressure fuel pump.

Food for thought.

Again, I'm not worried in the least about cabin space. I just want to know if it's going to interfere with anything electric in nature here. Others have done it this way, and it works. Good deal.:)

It'll be far enough forward that an FI pump would not be in the way if FI is ever on the horizon for me. It'll go more toward the pedals that it is in the pic.

Thanks all!

Location of power supply

I don't see anything wrong with mounting it there, but if you want it behind the bag bin (I did that in my -8), just order about 40' of the shielded cable from srobes n more and make a countinous run out to each wingtip. The cable is pretty cheap.

Power supply cable

.....OR - if you need more cable, I'll give you my 15 footers I got from Strobes N More that I'm not using because they're too short. You could just splice them together - at the wing root. Make sure you splice the shield too...

IIRC, I came up short with one of my strobe wires. My fix was to splice in some more length to the cable. Very easy. The power unit is mounted behind the pilot's seatback on the floor just fwd of the flap rod. I would not mount it on the forward tunnel just because it does not look good. Also when you are laying on your back on the floor trying to get access to your panel because something isn't working, you are gonna wish the power unit wasn't there.
Get it out of sight but keep it accessible is my opinion..... since you asked.

Last edited: