danielhv

Well Known Member
Helping a friend build his -7 rudder that he bought from another builder... we are missing the R-606PP reinforcing plate. Can we just take some scrap and fabricate one? Only problem I see is we dont have a single scrap piece of the same thickness that the 606PP was, so we'd have to use 2 pieces put together to equal the same thickness of the 606PP... thoughts?

606pp.jpg

I don't see a problem with that. It might be better to use a single thickness (I mean, you could build up the thickness using aluminum foil, but it wouldn't be very structural), but if you use the proper aluminum and use just two plates, I suppose it would be ok. When in doubt, call Van's.

Sure, you can make the part, but make it with the same material and thickness originally specified.
It shouldn't be too hard to find another RV builder close by with a small scrap (I think it is .032 thick?)

Sure, you can make the part, but make it with the same material and thickness originally specified.
It shouldn't be too hard to find another RV builder close by with a small scrap (I think it is .032 thick?)

it is .064. I was going to use two pieces of .032 to make it.

it is .064. I was going to use two pieces of .032 to make it.

My bad...I couldn't remember and shouldn't have guessed.

I think you should use .063 (.063 is the standard thickness designation).

If for no other reason than helping to develop a good airplane building mentality in your friend...to not make structural (this is structural) substitutions without approval from Van's engineering or someone else with the engineering background to evaluate the change.

I have to agree with Scott on this one - structure is structure, and two layers of something isn't the same as one layer of the same thickness. I make little cabin/interior trim pieces out of whatever is handy all the time, but when it comes to pieces that hold the airplane together, I don't substitute!

Paul

Also, make sure the material is the same. As you probably already know, not all aluminum is the same. If it were me, I'd get Van's to mail another. My experience is that you'd have it in hand by mid-week; surely there's something else to work on in the meantime.

I agree, no substitutions in the structural.

Besides, he has to learn how to order replacement parts from Vans :D

Joe

I'd agree with Jeff R. Using 2 pieces is probably fine but call Vans to make sure.

You'll probably get the same answer I've gotten when I've asked them about things like this: "We have obviously never tested a configuration like this but it seems unlikely to cause problems."

Gee, that was confidence inspiring, thanks :rolleyes:

I would probably order a replacement, he probably needs to order a small container of tank sealant for the rudder trailing edge anyway.