kentb

Well Known Member
I am starting to plan a trip for next summer. My daughter move to Quantico with her Marine husband and I am thinking that a trip across the country is in order.
I see that the airport is owned by the Navy, but am not sure if I can fly into it for an overnight stay. If it is OK, what would be the procedure to cross the DC 'red' line?

Or should I just fly into KRNM - Stafford Regional?

Kent

DC SFRA

The Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) requires that you obtain training before flying within 60 miles of DCA VOR. The training is available at the FAA website.

Looks like NYG is Private use - Prior permission required.
Guess you need to talk to the Navy.

Kent,
I live 10 mins from Quantico. You can't fly into NYG. Go to Stafford, it's close by. As far as DC SFRA, take the online training and get your card--it's easy. As you've probably already seen, you can fly into Stafford without having to enter the SFRA, but you still need the training. If you can fly in IFR that would the most direct way. Otherwise there's not much to be gained flying under the Class B and through the SFRA to save a few miles. And you can just about forget about getting permission to transit the Class B VFR.

Mel,
Just a small correction. NYG (Turner Field) isn't private use, it's a Military field, in this case Marine Corps. I think you might have been looking at Bud's Ferry which is a private field across the Potomac in Maryland.

Mel,
Just a small correction. NYG (Turner Field) isn't private use, it's a Military field, in this case Marine Corps. I think you might have been looking at Bud's Ferry which is a private field across the Potomac in Maryland.

Sorry, I was going by AirNav. They do list NYG (Turner Field) as private use -prior permission required.

Thanks for the advice guys....

I'll plan on Stafford and make sure I do the training first.

Kent

About a year ago, I jumped through all the hoops to try and fly our corporate plane into there. Even though they have a runway, it is now a rotorcraft airport only. They are considering redoing the runway, but they told me it is in terrible shape and nothing uses it now. YYMV

Depending on where they live relative to the base, the Stafford airport may be a faster drive anyway, so it's definitely the better choice. Fredericksburg's airport isn't too far away either. If you have time during your stay, the relatively new National Museum of the Marine Corps is worth a visit.