pierre smith

Well Known Member
Morning guys,
I know this is a strange request but my PT-6 gearbox assembly is in Terra Haute, Ind. and I need to go and get it.

It's been totally disassembled so I can put all the parts in bubble-wrap in boxes to transport it to Arkansas.

Those of you familiar with PT-6 -15's kindly chime in if you also know how much room there is in a -10 with the back seats and cushions removed.

Thanks,

Good Grief! From the Title I thought you were about to put a PT6 in your RV 10 for primary power!

One really fast 10!

That's the way I first understood it as well! WOW! You guys are reallty serious about going faster.

It's gotta fit. I once put a full-sized african lion mount in a 206. The tail caused problems though.

Hmmmmm.....

I should think that mounting a PT-6 on the front of a -10 would work wihout it becoming too much of a production. People have been pulling 540's off of Malibus, 520/550's off of A-36 Bonanza's, C-210/206's, Baron's, and the 541's off the Duke and replacing them with either PT-6's of the Walter turbo-prop.

I dont know what the performance gains would be, but...the Bonanza speeds up from 165kts to 225kts TAS, and the Malibu increases approx. 60 kts TAS as well. Sure is fun to daydream about doing better that 200 KNOTS TRUE (not miles per hour :rolleyes:) We think the climb performance is good on 300 hp, can you imagine 450 or 500 hp :eek: It would be like the Rocket version of the -10!

Seems to me that it will only be a matter of time before someone catches the "experimental" bug and makes it a project. Besides, if the folks flying the Lancairs can do it, we can do it!!

Yeah, but....

...my PT-6 is rated at 680 SHP and develops 1633 lbs. ft. of torque on takeoff!

The title of my original post says "Disassembled gearbox...."

The power section spins 37,500 revs at 100% and is converted through a double planetary reduction drive to a propeller redline of 2200 RPM's. It has two tachs..one for the engine and one for the prop.

Regards,

gee pierre

I thought you were going to take out your IO-540 ans put in the PT-6! Thought I had bumped my head for a minute.
Is the rear weight going to be a problem for you to fly it in the 10?
Tom

Weight vs. bulk.

For all of the replies, you still don't have an answer here. From experience flying Angel Flight missions during Katrina in my 10, you can safely load about 500 lbs in the back seat and luggage area with the seats removed, paying attention to W&B, and using some plywood to more evenly distribute the weight if it is concentrated in one area. If your gearbox is in pieces, then loading it shouldn't be an issue. Load through the cabin doors, but put something protective on the wings in case something gets dropped while loading/unloading.

Good Luck.

Vic

Thanks Vic...

I don't think the whole shebang will be over 200 Lbs, since the complete engine sans starter/generator is slightly over 300 Lbs. In bubble-wrap and blankets, I think we'll be good to go.

I probably had over 300 lbs of dogs and cats on our rescue run too.

Best,

Pierre, it sounds like the weight won't be a problem, and certainly there's enough volume inside a -10 cabin for a PT-6.

It wouldn't hurt though to have someone put a tape across the biggest piece, and figure out the outside dimensions. Then you can make a rough model out of cardboard or whatever and "dry fit" it through the door.

I have tried to fit things in our Cirrus that I was sure would fit, only to be unable to maneuver them through the door and past the seat.

Five minutes with some cardboard and masking tape might save you a wasted trip...