FORANE

Well Known Member
So, it appears the pro pilot has too much length or roundth or possibly both.
Below is a pic of the pro pilot where I attempted to insert it into the panel. Note the lateral yaw.

Below is a pic of the panel where I wanted to install the pro pilot. Note the black line I marked where the rear corner of the pro pilot contacts the bracket.

So, can I bend this to give some extra room for the pro pilot? I am guessing it is structural.

What are you trying to bend? I wouldn't think bending the panel would be workable. You can maybe modify the support bracket (could be difficult since it looks to be installed pretty permanently). Given the length of the pro pilot and the observed yaw, looks like you need a half-inch or so of space. I would be hesitant to bend the bracket that much. I might consider cutting out the portion to yield space for the pro pilot, and scabbing a piece of Al angle onto the bracket (to the left in the photo) to restore the strength. Details of how to do that would require a bit closer look.

Any chance you could swap it for the instrument above and get clearance that way without modifying the bracket?

My two cents.

Greg

What are you trying to bend? I wouldn't think bending the panel would be workable. You can maybe modify the support bracket (could be difficult since it looks to be installed pretty permanently). Given the length of the pro pilot and the observed yaw, looks like you need a half-inch or so of space. I would be hesitant to bend the bracket that much. I might consider cutting out the portion to yield space for the pro pilot, and scabbing a piece of Al angle onto the bracket (to the left in the photo) to restore the strength. Details of how to do that would require a bit closer look.

Any chance you could swap it for the instrument above and get clearance that way without modifying the bracket?

My two cents.

Greg

Hey Greg

I was not sure my pics were viewable as I am a novice at this sort of thing.
I am considering the feasibility of bending the support bracket.

I believe the airspeed indicator would fit lower left and allow for pro pilot install in place of the airspeed indicator with no modifications. Don't believe I would be happy with that orientation of instruments though.

I would not recommend you do anything to that portion of the fuselage. It should be thought of as a structural member of the fwd fuselage.

I would not recommend you do anything to that portion of the fuselage. It should be thought of as a structural member of the fwd fuselage.

ok, Looked like it was to me.
Thanks for the post.

Has anyone else encountered this clearance issue behind the panel and how was it addressed? Perhaps Gregs idea of scabbing onto the part to increase its strength?

It would appear that you don't need to crib a lot of space, so how about making a square faceplate with a hole in it that is the same diameter as the existing hole. The faceplate might be the same thickness as the panel material, or even a little thicker.
Then make the existing hole a little large to the right side i.e offset it to the right so it looks a little more oval.
Place the unit in the new faceplate and see how it fits. The faceplate brings the unit forward by the thickness of plate giving you extra room.
Offsetting the original hole to the right will give you additional clearance.
You could also enlarge the hole vertically if that might help to position the unit. If you still need room, you could have the faceplate include the keyswitch and primer so as to allow further wiggle room.
The new faceplate will hide the strange shape of the hole behind it, and no one will ever know. You could get really clever and make it out of black plastic and have it engraved so it looks like it was meant to be there!

Good Luck, Mick

I'm pretty sure that the plans for installing the optional Van's Map Box have you cutting a chunk of that bracket for clearance. Call Van's and get their opinion.