Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am about to rivet my forward belly skin and belly ribs to my fuselage. Van recommends that I apply a little black death (proseal) to the skin/rib joints to help stem oil seepage and to dampen exhaust thrum. I have already primed the bottom of the floor skin to my fuselage with SEM self etching primer. Do I have to take off the primer (MEC usually does the trick) before I apply the proseal? When I built the tanks I did not use any primer on the inside, of course, but here does is matter? What say you brethren builders?
Thank you in advance of your sage advice.

It probably depends on what type of primer you used. I pro-sealed over the zinc chromate,I believe,(green stuff)without any problems. I believe Gulfstreams are built this way also.

I would remove that particular primer if it were me. If you had used a good epoxy primer and good prep than I would have said it would be ok. The adhesion of the sealer is only as good as the paint and the solvents in the proseal will probably soften your primer. The self etchers don't adhere that good anyway in my experience and are easily removed with many solvents.