walkman

Well Known Member
Is there a way to concatenate GRT "demo" files so that I can get an entire flight in one file on SavvyAnalysis?

What he said...

Is there a way to concatenate GRT "demo" files so that I can get an entire flight in one file on SavvyAnalysis?

Definition of CONCATENATE

: linked together
Origin of CONCATENATE

Middle English, from Late Latin concatenatus, past participle of concatenare to link together, from Latin com- + catena chain
First Known Use: 15th century

If it is I haven't found a way to do it.

Concatenated.... .. Amazing what we learn on this Forum.

You guys are funny.

Concatenate is used in computers often.

Walkman, have you tried to 'cat >> file' them together? I haven't tested it but it's just a binary file. You may have to strip some headers but in theory it should work.

What was I thinking?

You guys are funny.

Walkman, have you tried to 'cat >> file' them together? I haven't tested it but it's just a binary file. You may have to strip some headers but in theory it should work.

Oh, I get it. I remember my dad used to eat a lot of prunes when he got concatenated. I know those computer geeks get crappy tunnel syndrome so it just follows that concatenation would follow. Thanks for clarifying it for me Sid.:D

That reminds me of a pic I took a few weeks ago...

996963_10200945362177125_967222985_n.jpg

Oh, I get it. I remember my dad used to eat a lot of prunes when he got concatenated. I know those computer geeks get crappy tunnel syndrome so it just follows that concatenation would follow. Thanks for clarifying it for me Sid.:D

Now that's a good way to start a Wednesday! :D

I don't know about concatenating files, but I'll ask Jeff tonight when he gets here. I think he dreams in binary.

Here's another option. If you're planning to record a flight specifically for uploading to SavvyAnalysis, you can set your EFIS up to record up to 120 minutes of continuous flight. It uses about 1 MB/minute, so make sure the Max File Size is also set to a number large enough to record the flight and you have enough room on your USB memory stick.

More on data logging and demo file recording can be found here, on the Feature of the Week page on our website.

More on data logging and demo file recording can be found here, on the Feature of the Week page on our website.

Cool stuff there, thanks for the link:D

And, kudos to whoever wrote the "feature of the week"---------nice to see something that a nontechnogeek can read/understand.

You guys are funny.

I know HOW to do it, but not whether it will work or not, and didn't have any files to test on.

Actually, even if it will work, you have to be careful about getting them in the correct order.

cat `ls -tr DEMO-<day>-<time>*` > DEMO-<day>-<time>-ALL.LOG

should work

lol after the arkansas moonshine this weekend, my pipes (*nix reference) are redirected to /dev/null

Now that's a good way to start a Wednesday! :D

I don't know about concatenating files, but I'll ask Jeff tonight when he gets here. I think he dreams in binary.

Here's another option. If you're planning to record a flight specifically for uploading to SavvyAnalysis, you can set your EFIS up to record up to 120 minutes of continuous flight. It uses about 1 MB/minute, so make sure the Max File Size is also set to a number large enough to record the flight and you have enough room on your USB memory stick.

The longest amount of time I can get it to record in a single file is 18 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

Katie will have to verify this, but the way I read it is that you can specify a file size and a max recording time. The file size will control this and 15MB is the largest selectable now. This size for me equates to slightly less than 15 minutes of recording time in each file.

If you're recording less data then the time can be up to 120 minutes.

Sorry, Widget is right. This morning I went to my demo units and I checked the max time setting on the EFIS, but did not check the max file size, which is just 15 MB. The EFIS records so much information these days, it won't go the full 120 min.

So now I'm really interested in how to concoct/constipate/connect the demo files.

Sorry, Widget is right. This morning I went to my demo units and I checked the max time setting on the EFIS, but did not check the max file size, which is just 15 MB. The EFIS records so much information these days, it won't go the full 120 min.

So now I'm really interested in how to concoct/constipate/connect the demo files.

So, you've got two hours of flight data in 15 MB (i.e. 15 minute) chunks?

That's just 8 files to put together. You should be able to decode the binary demo files using the decode to spreadsheet program on the GRT website, then paste them together in notepad (or ideally with notepad++) (deleting the headers out of all but the first file).

Cool stuff there, thanks for the link:D

And, kudos to whoever wrote the "feature of the week"---------nice to see something that a nontechnogeek can read/understand.

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate that! That was me, GRT's resident "average homebuilder." My flying experience with the Sport and a lack of prior knowledge about electronics have made it easy for me to step back and ask real-user questions. Over the past year I've developed a real love for translating Technogeek into English. ;)

Savvyanalysis has a fairly low max file size anyway. I cat'd all my DEMO files for a 2 hour flight into one and then attempted to upload. Its more than twice the max size. So, issue might be moot.