Kmacht

OK. First things first. I'm building a Sonex not an RV. This forum although RV focused has provided me a ton of just general information over the years so I hope you don't mind a Sonex builder posting on an RV forum.

I'm looking for a painter in the Connecticut / New York / North East region. I thought I was all set with a local guy I found and gave him my wings to paint. The deal was that I buy the materials and only pay him for his time. It started out great and he had all the right answers to my questions. The problem is that his work just isn't up to par. I just went to go look at the wings tonight and there is quite alot of orange peel and all sorts of things embedded in the paint. He was supposed to do the prep and mask at his house and then move it to where he worked to use the paint booth. It is very obvious that he instead just decided to spray it in his garage with very little concern or protection for getting stuff in the paint.

I'm not about to give him any more money to start the fuselage at this point so I am looking for another painter. I'm not looking for perfection, just something that isn't embarrassing to stand next to. I'm going to attempt to do some color sanding on the wings to remove the worst of it and probably live with what can't be fixed.

I have what should be enough primer, paint and clear to complete the job (PPG Deltron) but need to find someone that is willing to quote me the job for the labor and can be trusted to do a decent job. Does anyone have a recommendation for a painter in the Connecticut / New York / New England Region?

Keith

I can recommend Prestige Aircraft in Swanton, VT

Prestige did an excellent job repainting a new rudder (0.020 skin) and a modified cowl (Cam-Loc fasteners) on my -4. A couple of years ago, they repainted my buddy's Navion and did and beautiful job.
I have no relationship with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Good luck,

Dean

OK.

I have what should be enough primer, paint and clear to complete the job (PPG Deltron) but need to find someone that is willing to quote me the job for the labor and can be trusted to do a decent job. Does anyone have a recommendation for a painter in the Connecticut / New York / New England Region?

Keith

Hi Keith,

I meant to mention in my previous post that advice given to me when I had my plane painted was not to specify a paint system to the painter. Either use the paint the painter is familiar with or find a painter who uses the paint you prefer/have available.

Regards,

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to try giving both prestige and Ed a call to see if the want to quote the job.

I understand the point about letting the painter choose the paint system but at this point I don't have a choice. The wings are already painted and I have about $2500 with of paint left that I can't afford to throw out and replace.

Keith