luv2flypilot

Well Known Member
My avionics panel has been already installed and was professionally wired and silk-screened. I now want to make a change that would require adding additional silk-screening for a new switch. Does anyone have any recommendations for adding a small amount of silk-screen labeling to match all the existing without having to remove the panel? I guess an option would be to use clear label tape, but I am sure it would not look as nice as all the other labeling that is silk-screened.

Thanks,

Does anyone have any recommendations for adding a small amount of silk-screen labeling to match all the existing without having to remove the panel?
Thanks,

I recommend contacting the folks who did it in the first place.

Possible Silk-Screening Solution

I recommend contacting the folks who did it in the first place.

Unfortunately Mike they went under..... My panel was completed by Accuracy Avionics and luckily I was able to get the panel before the Bankruptcy locked the doors with my panel in it. I had to have the panel finished by someone else (at my expense) but it could have been worse. I did a little research and found this place that carries water slide decals (such that are used on models, etc)

http://www.papilio.com/laser water slide decal paper.html

I ordered a few sheets and will do some testing to see how well they hold up on metal once applied with a little clear UV-Resistant acrylic lightly added with a Q-Tip or better yet a small artist brush to make them a bit more durable and to protect it from UVs.

https://texascraft.com/hps/product.php?productid=16686&cat=328&page=1

Luckily I have only a small amount of relabeling for an additional switch I am going to add to disconnect the cross-filling of the flight plan data from my 430W to the 496. I found later that when you are not using the 430W for navigating, which seems to be quit often when flying VFR, that it eliminates quit a few options from the 496 (such as activating direct to an airport with the 496).

Anybody have any experience using the water slide decals and how well they worked and are holding up?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I checked myself out on silk screening several years ago, made my own screens and practiced until it worked out OK.

You need a flat area to hold the screen above and over whatever needs printing. If there is an instrument or anything protruding from the panel in the immediate area, I don't see how you could do it.

It would not work but I say that only from my perspective of having done it by hand. There may be other techniques that would work.

Aerographics Labels

Marilyn at Aerographics made some very nice labels for me.

Barry, were they clear with black labeling? I actually just received a package from Aerographics today that consisted of my shadowed N number decals. I am looking for something that will match my existing silk-screening without sticking out like a soar thumb.

Thanks,

Here's a thought...though it may be a lot of effort for a small amount of lettering.

Background: After powder-coating my panel overlays, we had a local engraver laser-etch the lettering for all of my labels. The etching was done through blue tape, and after etching, we taped off the rest of the panel pieces and used black spray-paint to fill in the etched letters. After that, removed the tape, and the etched letters were black.

Perhaps you could have an engraver do the same (in a matching font) for the label(s) you want to add, through the same type of tape onto some scrap AL (it was like painter's blue masking tape, but might be some special engraver's stuff). Then you could carefully remove the tape, toss the AL and place the tape as a stencil on your panel in the right spot. Tape and paper the rest of the panel, and then airbrush, or carefully spray through this "stencil" of sorts.

Like I said, a lot of work for a label or two, but it might get you the desired result. Would depend on the engraver's ability to match the font and size and finding a paint color match, and some caution to avoid bleeding of the paint.

A local engraver that you can work/adjust details with would be best, but I'm over the hills in Reno, and can ask my engraver about the feasibility, if you're interested.

Cheers,
Bob

Sounds like a great idea Bob

Here's a thought...though it may be a lot of effort for a small amount of lettering.

Background: After powder-coating my panel overlays, we had a local engraver laser-etch the lettering for all of my labels. The etching was done through blue tape, and after etching, we taped off the rest of the panel pieces and used black spray-paint to fill in the etched letters. After that, removed the tape, and the etched letters were black.

Perhaps you could have an engraver do the same (in a matching font) for the label(s) you want to add, through the same type of tape onto some scrap AL (it was like painter's blue masking tape, but might be some special engraver's stuff). Then you could carefully remove the tape, toss the AL and place the tape as a stencil on your panel in the right spot. Tape and paper the rest of the panel, and then airbrush, or carefully spray through this "stencil" of sorts.

Like I said, a lot of work for a label or two, but it might get you the desired result. Would depend on the engraver's ability to match the font and size and finding a paint color match, and some caution to avoid bleeding of the paint.

A local engraver that you can work/adjust details with would be best, but I'm over the hills in Reno, and can ask my engraver about the feasibility, if you're interested.

Cheers,
Bob

That would likely work well if as you indicated an engraver can make a stencil for the labeling I need. I appreciate the offer Bob. If your engraver thinks he can do something like this let me know and I can send him the details on the font and size I need, it will likely match the rest of my silk-screening nicely. The water slide decals may not look quit a nice depending if the clear can be seen on my light gray powder coated panel inserts and when a clear acrylic is put on to protect it, that may even make it more obvious with a shinny finish.

Thanks,

Unfortunately Mike they went under..... My panel was completed by Accuracy Avionics and luckily I was able to get the panel before the Bankruptcy locked the doors with my panel in it. I had to have the panel finished by someone else (at my expense) but it could have been worse. I did a little research and found this place that carries water slide decals (such that are used on models, etc)

You may want to talk with Eric McDonald at Redmond Air. I believe Eric and several other folks there used to work at Accuracy.

Eric McDonald
Avionics Technician
Redmond Air LLC
Redmond, Oregon
[email protected]
Phone: 541-923-1355
Fax: 541-923-4181
Full Service FBO CRS#: Q9RR266Y

That would likely work well if as you indicated an engraver can make a stencil for the labeling I need. I appreciate the offer Bob. If your engraver thinks he can do something like this let me know and I can send him the details on the font and size I need, it will likely match the rest of my silk-screening nicely. The water slide decals may not look quit a nice depending if the clear can be seen on my light gray powder coated panel inserts and when a clear acrylic is put on to protect it, that may even make it more obvious with a shinny finish.

Thanks,

Byron,

Will contact her. Back atcha ASAP.

Thinking a bit about it last night, one concern would be letters like B, P, D, etc., where a bit of the stencil will not be connected to the rest of the tape. Maybe you could put a clear tape over it to keep it all together when transferring from the scrap to the panel, then remove the clear "over-tape" to paint. What words are you looking at needing?

I'll see what she says.

Cheers,
Bob

Labeling Needed

Byron,

Will contact her. Back atcha ASAP.

Thinking a bit about it last night, one concern would be letters like B, P, D, etc., where a bit of the stencil will not be connected to the rest of the tape. Maybe you could put a clear tape over it to keep it all together when transferring from the scrap to the panel, then remove the clear "over-tape" to paint. What words are you looking at needing?

I'll see what she says.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

I am looking for just ON and OFF on the sides of the switch and GPS CROSS FILL above it. I am actually thinking of using and existing switch that I had connected to the A/P that coupled the 430W or the 496. Don't think I really need this switch since I only need the A/P coupled to the 430W and I can fly the using the altitude and headings bugs on my AFS EFIS when using the 496 to navigate. I have already removed a small bit of existing silk-screening with no damage to the panel since the inserts were powder coated and baked on so that is not a worry. You can find a few photos of my panel on this thread for reference: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1533&page=38

Thanks,

You may want to talk with Eric McDonald at Redmond Air. I believe Eric and several other folks there used to work at Accuracy.

Eric McDonald
Avionics Technician
Redmond Air LLC
Redmond, Oregon
[email protected]
Phone: 541-923-1355
Fax: 541-923-4181
Full Service FBO CRS#: Q9RR266Y

I already spoke to Eric about this. He actually finished the panel for me and did a GREAT! job. Eric said he thought that the powder coated insert would have to be removed from the panel and sent back to be silk-screened.

Thanks,

Bob,

I am looking for just ON and OFF on the sides of the switch and GPS CROSS FILL above it. I am actually thinking of using and existing switch that I had connected to the A/P that coupled the 430W or the 496. Don't think I really need this switch since I only need the A/P coupled to the 430W and I can fly the using the altitude and headings bugs on my AFS EFIS when using the 496 to navigate. I have already removed a small bit of existing silk-screening with no damage to the panel since the inserts were powder coated and baked on so that is not a worry. You can find a few photos of my panel on this thread for reference: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1533&page=38

Thanks,

Byron,

Received and replied to your e-mail before I saw this. Disregard my Q on painting over the existing silk-screening. Will find out all I can on stencil options with the engraver, and reply as soon as I've talked with her.

Nice panel, by the way!!

Cheers,
Bob