IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Has anyone attached their -9 wingtips with hinges? I found Mike Bullock's excellent document describing the process on his -7. To me the process actually looks easier than nutplates, and might come out better.

I don't want to be the first to discover that it is somehow impossible on the -9 airfoil.

Thanks for any info,

Did it on my -9A; no problems yet in 125 hours, and with it currently apart for condition inspection, not seeing anything that would give me pause with the method. I also used some foam ribs inside to stiffen the tips and help them hold the proper shape.
http://rv9a.pacificrimsound.com/?p=3358

As with the -10, just use the front 2-3 holes for nutplates and hinge from there back.

Dave

There is an article in the August 2012 Sport Aviation that covers it. Article is by Chad Jensen, page 122. Hope that helps.

Thanks Joe! I had forgotten about that article. It was a good read. I think I'll try the hinges. I like the idea of using proseal under the hinge on the fiberglass. I'm worried about cracking the glass, so I might use soft rivets to hold it on.