DBone

Well Known Member
By "stock", I mean an after market XM antenna like you'd buy at Radio Shack or Best Buy. I don't need weather capability.

I'm hoping to just be able to pull the 696 out of the airplane and take it in the travel trailer to listen to music without having to pull the antenna with it.

It sounds like from this thread that the receiver is actually housed in the antenna itself. If that's the case, am I correct in assuming I'd have to buy a second XM antenna from Garmin AND have a second subscription with XM?

BTW, I've sent 2 emails to Garmin asking this question and never heard back.

Thanks!

It sounds like from this thread that the receiver is actually housed in the antenna itself. If that's the case, am I correct in assuming I'd have to buy a second XM antenna from Garmin AND have a second subscription with XM?
!

As far as I know, you will have to use the Garmin XM antenna/receiver with the 696 - you can't plug anything else in to make it work. That's why I don't have my XM antenna permanently mounted in the airplane, even though it lives there 99% of the time. I have Velcro cable routings so I can pull it out if I want to take it "on the road". Similar setup in Louise's airplane, so that we can pull the rigs out of one plane, and have two rigs in one airplane to keep us both busy when we fly together. Yes, that means two subscriptions in our household, but at least one of us flies every day, and frequently, both of us are aloft (or on a trip) at the same time.

Paul

Nope.

By "stock", I mean an after market XM antenna like you'd buy at Radio Shack or Best Buy. I don't need weather capability.

I'm hoping to just be able to pull the 696 out of the airplane and take it in the travel trailer to listen to music without having to pull the antenna with it.

BTW, I've sent 2 emails to Garmin asking this question and never heard back.

Thanks!

As you mentioned, the XM processor IS located inside the 396/496/696 antenna.....you cannot use a "standard" XM antenna such as those used on cars, even if it's just for music. And yes, you need a second subscription. All known from experience.

At least the second and third subscriptions are cheaper than the first. It's a family plan.

L.Adamson --- RV6A