danielhv

Well Known Member
Anybody camped next to their plane at oshkosh before? Im considering making the trip... first time. Do you just show up and HOPE there is room to put your plane and camp? How does this work? I dont want to go out there, and have no where to sleep! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody camped next to their plane at oshkosh before? Im considering making the trip... first time. Do you just show up and HOPE there is room to put your plane and camp? How does this work? I dont want to go out there, and have no where to sleep! :)

It depends on what type of aircraft you arrive in. Shouldn't be an issue with an experimental or vintage (1970 or older). The GA areas sometimes gets full for a couple days.

oshkosh camping

I have camped by the plane a couple of times at Oshkosh. I don't think you have to worry about a place to park and camp. It's a blast if you like sharing space, porta-potties, showers, and walking a lot. RV's have their own camping area, which is a prime spot, located close to exhibts,vendors, and might have 100+ RVs. (Cessnas,Pipers, and spams- not so lucky) Don,t take a leaky tent- it always rains. Otherwise, great experience. :)

If OSH is full for GA camping, Fond Du Lac is the overflow. There is a shuttle that will take you back and forth as well.

Just as a reference, I flew in last year on Tuesday AM and GA camping was closed. YMMV

Regards,

If OSH is full for GA camping, Fond Du Lac is the overflow. There is a shuttle that will take you back and forth as well.

Just as a reference, I flew in last year on Tuesday AM and GA camping was closed. YMMV

Regards,

Jeff knows a lot more about parking at Osh than I'll ever know, but as someone who flew in and camped several times in my 'ol Tomahawk, there are times when you've got a good shot at a prime slot, and there are times when you'll be hard pressed to find a parking spot.

If you're planning on parking in a GA area and are not flying a showplane of some sort, you'd better arrive early (Saturday or Sunday) or late (Wednesday or Thursday). If you arrive around noon late in the week, you have a good chance of grabbing a very convenient space because people will have started leaving by then...

don't go during Peak

If you want to fly-in and camp with your plane, then make it happen. Go early or later,,, I think you could find out what are expected peak times and try to work around that. I landed in afternoon on sat just before it offically started. I left wed. morning. Now i was in a 65 parked in vintage so that helped, but I know you have some leaving every day. Any plane could land when i did and camp in N. 40.. that place is HUGE.
Camping was a BLAST and don't be discouraged. I bet landing around 10 am would give early risers time to leave and make some new open spots each day? Just a guess.
Jeff H
Austin tx

I was considering flying up there the day before it all starts... Im assuming the staff will be there already directing planes?

Lots of fun - just be aware of their obnoxious 3 day minimum charge for camping. The only way around it is to come less than three days from the end of the show, or, plan to stay for at least three nights. I guess it just grates on me...

Jeff knows a lot more about parking at Osh than I'll ever know, but as someone who flew in and camped several times in my 'ol Tomahawk, there are times when you've got a good shot at a prime slot, and there are times when you'll be hard pressed to find a parking spot.

If you're planning on parking in a GA area and are not flying a showplane of some sort, you'd better arrive early (Saturday or Sunday) or late (Wednesday or Thursday). If you arrive around noon late in the week, you have a good chance of grabbing a very convenient space because people will have started leaving by then...

Thanks Kyle, but I think you mistook me for Jeff Point. He is THE man regarding RV parking.

Dan, if you get there Saturday or Sunday before the convention starts, you should be able to get a spot. The Notam will be in effect the Friday before everything starts, and there will be folks on the ground to direct you.

Last edited:
Check out the Y

My daughter and myself camped at the YMCA the last two years. They rent out spaces in their indoor soccer field (note - free standing tents). It is a little more expensive (about $5 per night for 10 X 10 area) but it is indoors and you can use the facilities as part of the deal (think showers without the wait). They have a shuttle that goes back and forth a couple times a day. You are limited in that respect. I'm not going to OSH this year but when I go back I'll be using the Y again.

Maybe I shouldn't tell everyone this - It is becoming more popular each year. Dang.

Thanks Kyle, but I think you mistook me for Jeff Point. He is THE man regarding RV parking.

Dan, if you get there Saturday or Sunday before the convention starts, you should be able to get a spot. The Notam will be in effect the Friday before everything starts, and there will be folks on the ground to direct you.

Yep, I did mistake you for Jeff Point. I ought to read the whole signature, eh?

But there is still the chance that you know far more about Oshkosh parking than I ever will. ;-)

RV camping

Bring 2 signs to flash to the ground teams. Use the HBC to camp in Homebuilt Camping or use the GAC sign to camp in the North 40 (General Aviation Camping). The GAC area is usually full and closed to new campers on Monday and Tuesday. The ATIS used the word "saturated" last year so we headed to Fond du Lac until Wednesday. The shuttle costs $30.00 (yikes!) for a round trip ticket and runs from 0830 to 2130. Breakfast is available for $5 at the bus stop. Camping is actually free at FDL so it's almost a wash, dollar wise. There are 2 RV parking areas. There is no actual official RV camping field. The "camping" field is actually the east half of the HBC field but the proportion of RV's to other homebuilts is so great you'll wonder if those other planes wound up in the wrong area.

planning on bringing my -9A,
Steve

I was considering flying up there the day before it all starts... Im assuming the staff will be there already directing planes?

Yes, there are people directing traffic several days before the gates open. When approaching OSH remember;

Rule #1: Fly The Plane.
Rule #2: Read, follow, and adhere to the NOTAM. You can order a hard copy around June 1st. It will be mailed to you free so you have it with you.
Rule #3: Enjoy yourself, you've made it to the BIG show ;)

http://www.airventure.org/index.html

Last edited:
Peak Time

Well that is peak time, and you will be far from the center of the action. Dont dispare, there are busses trams and such. Arrive on Saturday and you might be closer to the baths ect. There are parking people there several days early.
The general aviation camping does fill up. Early or later is best, for the best spots.
The day before it starts is the day the Bonanzas come in, might have to wait for them. Or the Piper group.

Last edited:
Yep, I did mistake you for Jeff Point. I ought to read the whole signature, eh?

But there is still the chance that you know far more about Oshkosh parking than I ever will. ;-)

If you fly into OSH in your RV, just make sure you obey IFP rules on the ground....I Follow Point! :D

man, im really getting excited about the thought of going. I dont have a Homebuilt tho so i cant park in the HBC can I? My main concerns are finding a place to park the plane and then, finding a place to park my head. :) Im planning on taking a 177RG.

OSH ammenities

IMHO the North 40 (GAC) is the best for:
1. Getting downtown because its closest to the airport terminal and the city bus stop.
2. The $10 breakfast buffet at the Hilton, again because of the short (relative) distance from camp.
3. Close proximity to other off-base eateries and stores such as Friar Tucks and Target.

I ususally fill up on the HIlton breakfast, eat one of those frozen fruit ice things in a cup for lunch, get back to GAC camping for beers and the afternoon airshow, hit the showers for the second time, then head off-base for dinner. Except for the VAF dinner on Wed and the fish fry at the seaplane base on Fri.

RV parking and HBC camping is approx another mile or so further from the above businesses.

can't wait,
Steve

Be prepared

Dan I have been a regular at AirVenture Oshkosh since 1988 and have flown my Cardianl from the Houston area to OSH on six different occasions. I camp in the North 40 (non homebuilt or vintage GA camping) and always enjoy it. It may very well fill on Sunday or Monday so plan to arrive Friday or Saturday AM to get a good spot and avoid the congestion. Arriving early you will find a very relaxed atmosphere and can watch all the other arrivals. Planes of all types flown by pilots of every skill level and all worked in by the controllers. Take a handheld radio to listen in. The FAA is only responsible for traffic in the air and on the runways. Once you exit the runway EAA volunteers will direct you to the appropriate parking according to the sign you place in your window.

Now here is the really important part. Obtain and read several times the AirVenture NOTAM. This cannot be over emphasized. Then go to the EAA AirVenture web site and use the information for pilots to learn the ATC procedures and arrival routes. Study these so you will be familiar with all possible directions and visual way points. Once past Ripon in the VFR arrival sequence you must be able to ?fly the plane? without trying to read directions from the NOTAM. A copilot or observer also familiar with the procedures will be very useful. Each year EAA adds additional useful information to the site and I recommend you study it all.

I have been to Oshkosh more times than I can remember and always count it as the highlight of my aviation year. Don?t miss it, but if you fly in be prepared and fly safe.

Regards, Chuck McCluggage

From my experience, I can add:

All EAA camping (Camp Scholler, North and Homebuilt camping) is paid from arrival date through the end of the show with a 3 day minimum. You have to specifically request a refund for unused days over the 3 day minimum before you leave.

The so-called RV camping area is really called the Homebuilt Camping Area, for all homebuilts. It's within the grounds, so it's very convenient, near the forums area. That also means that when you pay for camping, you also must buy wristbands (because you are already within the grounds) for the days you'll be there. That's a lot of coin upfront if you arrive on the first day of the event.

The aircraft parking area north of Runway 27 and, I think, the aircraft parking south of the approach end of Runway 36 have no parking fees. That also means there are also no camping fees, but also no facilities.

Airventure Notam, don't leave home without it.

If you land on Runway 27, make a right turn off and plan to go to Homebuilt Camping, you will have the most punishing off-pavement taxi you can imagine nearly 2 miles long before you get back to a paved taxiway. Ask me how I know.

Before flying in, I called EAA and specifically asked if I would be able to get in with my RV. I was told that they haven't maxed out parking for homebuilts or showplanes in any year, yet, so come on in.

Last year, I flew in on Wednesday during the show just before noon. There weren't more than 1 or 2 planes in the arrival sequence.

I've also driven to the show in the past. In some ways, it's nice to be able to get away from the hubbub at the airport and go elsewhere in town or over to the seaplane base at your leisure.

It's always struck that with all the action at the airport, once you get 3 or 4 miles away from it you'd be hard-pressed to even know something so big was going on nearby.

It's the highlight of my aviation year. I'm going again this year.

Not advice on camping but we do fill up in the GA camping area several days during the event. But, search this thread for, in my opinion, required reading before flying in to OSH. Flying into OSH? Required Reading. Sorry I'm too dumb to post the direct link.

Larry

Larry,

Here't the link you're looking for:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8960&highlight=required+reading

Darwin said you were down in AZ, sorry I missed you, just got back home this morning. Ran into Tom Poberezny and his wife in Scottsdale, but not the same as running into Larry Frey!

Re: camping at OSH: Others have hit the major points. GAC fills up fast, full by Monday, opens up by Weds or Thurs. Homebuilt camping and RV parking have never filled up, but last year we came very, very close. This year, who knows? Read the NOTAM. That about covers it.

so worse case scenario, i can park in HBC even tho im not in a homebuilt?
No, absolutely not. You must be a home built to camp in HBC. Space is at a premium back there. Like I said, we didn't run out of space last year but came pretty close.

An earlier post in this thread seemed to imply that non homebuilts could camp in HBC, but this is definitely not the case, so I want to set that straight.

thanks... that was the message I was getting to. I am NOT in a homebuilt (maybe someday!), so Im going to plan on arriving the 27th which is the day before it begins and hope to get a spot in GAC.

Arrive early!

Plan to overnight no more than two hours out of OSH, and get in the air *early* the next morning. I'm not an early-morning person...unless I'm enroute OSH.

Plan to overnight no more than two hours out of OSH, and get in the air *early* the next morning. I'm not an early-morning person...unless I'm enroute OSH.

That's what my wife says about me. I'm up an raring to go when I'm at Oshkosh.

Todd
Northwest OH