Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I am hoping to fly down to Copperstate for the first time this year - show the flag, visit with folks, see what's going on. I hope to spend two days, one night, and was thinking of just throwing a tent and sleeping bag into the back of Tsam and popping down - but am wondering about the camping arrangements. The web site doesn't seem to be too clear about what is available - can anyone enlighten me? I really don't ned much more than space to pitch a small tent - can you do this right by the airplane? What's the surface like?

Hope to see folks there,

Paul

Paul, just show a CMP sign and they will direct to you aircraft camping. Here is want is says on the website.

Aircraft Camping for anyone who wished to sleep under the wing of their aircraft. The aircraft camping area is different this year. It will be located just west of the paved ramp area and is best accessed from the parallel taxiway. Anyone camping on the airport during COPPERSTATE will need to register with the campground host and pay standard camping fees. Showers will be available to all registered campers.

We attended 2 years ago. Drove from San Diego to Casa Grande in our Winnebago. Camping area looked like this.
IMG_3082-M.jpg

Dirt, not much shade.

It's changed

Keep in mind the previous camping area depicted in the picture is all pave over now. Not exactly sure where they are going to put people now.

Bring an air mattress in case it is the paved over area.