Leonard_Smith_nz

All,

I've decided to go the 'camlock way' for my cowls. I notice that Aircraft Spruce has a product called:

'Vans RV cowling mounting kit' (04-00418/8)

Some questions:
1. Has anyone used their 'Complete kit'. Good value?
2. Which is better: Collard slotted or the Phillips style?
3. Another supplier that you could recommend?

Also, I would like to eventually paint the heads the same colour as the cowls. Am I asking for trouble (paint will 'chip' off too easily) or is a durable finish possible?

All opinions appreciated...

Regards,
Leonard
RV6 in New Zealand

camloc fasteners

I bought a kit from Skybolt.

(click on image for more details)

Best how-to I've found is from Jim Daniels:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwdweb2/Cowl1/cowl1.html

I think painting the heads would require some special work, since they are stainless steel. Kind of hard to paint, it seems. I bought the flat head. I've seen a lot of the philips heads that are pretty wallowed out. I'd *really* love to see someone come out with a torx head for these things.

Camlocs

I looked at kits and decided they were either not what I wanted, or the particular manufacturer's price was too high for the same functionality.

I used Camloc 4002-NS stainless "plus-flush" receptacles on the top cowl-to-firewall joint. They sit slightly proud of the cowl, but are vastly easier to install than the flush type which requires precise countersinking, and leaves little fiberglass bearing surface.
From three feet away, you'd never know they were not flush because the profile is very low. My -7 was RV of the Week, #22/2005. One pix shows them. All of the exposed fasteners, like tip and tank screws, are unpainted stainless. It's a "look" you may or may not like, but in conjuction with the stainless camlocs it's integrated.

Don't attempt to paint stainless steel and hope for it to last. Get cad plated if you must paint the fasteners, but the stud will eventually chip. Also, a slotted head screw is just a scratch waiting to happen. Go phillips head.

No swearing getting the top cowl off and on. No third degree burns. No cracked hinges. No regrets. Go Camlocs.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

I bought the skybolt kit and was happy with it. If you go through their website they had a good RV discount...

If you buy the complete kit from Skybolt directly (same one in Mickey's pic) they give a pretty good airshow discount during the major shows. They may be at some of the smaller shows too. This discount is good either at the show, or for phone/ web orders during the show.

I wouldn't trade my camlocs for anything. Go with the phillips head, the slotted are too easy to have the screwdriver strip. They do not require much torque to fasten or unfasten so stripping them out is not a problem.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee

skybolt

Jeff said:
...they give a pretty good airshow discount during the major shows. They may be at some of the smaller shows too.
I had heard this too, but they weren't at that little airshow down the road from you. I've seen them for the last two years at SNF, though.

Skybolt Interesting situation

Interesting situation when I dealt with Skybolt. I had talked to them at Sun n' Fun and bought a few for my hinged baggage compartment door. I wanted to use them on my cowl but was not ready for them. I asked if I could get the show discount at a later date and they said it was no problem.

When I was ready I pulled up the web site and noticed a price of $413 for the RV7 kit. I called and talked to a woman and told her I wanted the set and advised her of my conversation at Sun n' Fun. She said that was fine and came back and said, "your total is $463.00." I told her, "I was told it was a 10% discount." She told me the price was $499 minus 10%. I said the web site showed $413. She told me the new price was $499 but she hadn't got around to updating the site yet but would honor the $412 price. I agreed and got the set.

I have checked the web site numerous times and it still shows the $413 price. My neighbor called and confirmed the price was $413. I kind of feel I was duped a little by them. I think it was just their way of not giving the announced discount from the airshow price. FYI, the price as of a few minutes ago still shows $413. I really hate paying full retail for anything!!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

RV7Guy said:
I have checked the web site numerous times and it still shows the $413 price. My neighbor called and confirmed the price was $413. I kind of feel I was duped a little by them. I think it was just their way of not giving the announced discount from the airshow price. FYI, the price as of a few minutes ago still shows $413. I really hate paying full retail for anything!!!!

I had a similar situation a few years ago. Their web site had the Sun n Fun show special (at the time 30%, now it's like 10%) on well past SnF. I called and they said the deal was over since SnF was over, but they would honor the price since it was on the web site. They gave me the discount, and the website was changed within hours.

Even if you pay full price they are worth it, especially if you can borrow the tools from someone and save a few bucks!

Jeff Point

Full or Firewall Only?

All,

I have also decided to install Skybolt camlocks when I get around to the cowl. I have seen many builders install camlocks around the firewall but use the conventional hinges to mate the top and bottom cowl. This seems to be a good hybrid of the two methods.

For those who have camlocks, which did you chose (full cams or hybrid) and would you do it again?

Thanks

As an A&P, I give a big thumbs up for camlocks. They look good and make getting the cowling off oh so easy.

:)

ericwolf said:
All,

I have also decided to install Skybolt camlocks when I get around to the cowl. I have seen many builders install camlocks around the firewall but use the conventional hinges to mate the top and bottom cowl. This seems to be a good hybrid of the two methods.

For those who have camlocks, which did you chose (full cams or hybrid) and would you do it again?

Thanks

I used the hinge on the lower cowl sides and the Skybolts on the top of the top cowl and to mate the top and bottom. I bought the full kit but will sell the extra 10 to my neighbor who is building a 7 and will also be using them.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Cams + Hinges

I put Camlocs on the top cowl-firewall joint. All other joints used hinges except the lower cowl bottom either side of the exhaust where I installed flanges with nutplates receiving ten #8 screws total through the fiberglass, locally reinforced with .040 AL. That lower joint has a reputation for destroying hinges. So far, so good (140 hours), and real easy to remove/install. Camlocs everywhere would be proportionately more expensive and difficult building in for no real gain in convenience.

John Siebold

Full or Firewall Only?

If you are really on a budget, then the top cowl/ firewall at a minimum should be camlocs, and you could get away with hinges on the sides. However, even though the bottom cowl/ firewall, and the top/bottom cowls are easier to do with hinges than the top cowl/ firewall, they are much easier still to do with camlocs. Unless you find the appearance of camlocs all around to be bad, spend the extra and go for it. If you don't, yuo'll regret it every time you take the cowl off.

Jeff

Long time listener, first time poster. Please excused the rookie mistakes.

From a product standpoint, I believe Skybolt camloc fasteners to be excellent product.

From customer service standpoint, Skybolt is horrible. They have a monopoly on a product and act like it.

I ordered my kit in mid May and received it mid or late July with parts backordered. I also learned upon receiving the kit that I needed to buy some installation tools from Skybolt. After ordering the tools, I decided to return my order (both tools and fastener kit) since the back ordered parts were not forth coming (they wanted a $30 restock fee, but no way). After they received my returned items, I finally got the back ordered parts?? It also took them about a month to credit my account after they received the kit. How long does it take to order the kit, return it and get your account credited? Almost four months. The only fast part about the process was the initial ding on my credit card.

That said, this has been my only negative experience with ANY vendor during my build.

Skybolt

From customer service standpoint, Skybolt is horrible.
I must have gotten lucky. I received my order about 2 weeks after ordering it, and I'm international. They also told me there would be a delay due to backordered parts, but even with that two weeks international (shipped USPS) is not bad. My only complaint is the lack of a torx head option. :)

Skybolt tools

I am very happy with Skybolt camlocks, after copying from Jim Daniels website(a very good thing to do because he did it right).

You will need the little tool for compressing the male part of the camlock(looks like a cleco plier), but DON'T buy the plastic one. Get the metal one.

How much AL strip needed for firewall camlocs

Hello,

How many feet of attachment strip will I need for the firewall-cowl camlocs on an RV-9? Also, what thickness are people using. .063 or .050?

Thanks,

Pete