Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Has anyone choosen to not install the Camlock retainer rings? While I have been putting the cowling on- an off- for a gazilion times, during all the fitting, I was wondering if it would not be easier to not install the camlocks permanently (with the retainer ring), but just leave them "loose" and use them as ordinary screws. It would sure be easier to install the cowling that way?

I would only do this for the bottom cowl, the top cowl is not an issue.

Regards, Tonny.

O-rings

Hi Tony,
I used small O-rings to temporarily attach the camlock studs. When your ready after painting you can use the steel rings. It works fairly well, but some may need replacing from time to time.

Removed my for new paint with a small pick. Not to hard after you do one or two you will get the hang of it.
Squeak

Removing retainer rings

I used a dental pick. Wear gloves so you don't poke a hole in your finger.

Guys, so you understand me better. At the moment I have the Camlocks still loose, because the cowling is not painted yet.

I was thinking of leaving them that way, because the cowling goos on and off very easy that way. This has nothing to do with the retainer rings, but more with the fact that I think, that ones the camlocks are installed permanently they will catch on the holes, or something else and make it more difficult to get the cowl on and off. Now I just take all the Camlocks off the cowl. I know, this is not how they are designed, but is it not easyer this way?

Regards, Tonny.

I think I understand.....

Guys, so you understand me better. At the moment I have the Camloc's still loose, because the cowling is not painted yet.

I was thinking of leaving them that way, because the cowling go's on and off very easy that way. This has nothing to do with the retainer rings, but more with the fact that I think, that ones the camloc's are installed permanently they will catch on the holes, or something else and make it more difficult to get the cowl on and off. Now I just take all the Camloc's off the cowl. I know, this is not how they are designed, but is it not easier this way?

Regards, Tonny.

There are always comments within threads that are usually helpful but don't fully address the original search for information. I read them / I write some, because the thoughts are closely related and they may help someone else. Sometimes you get a great answer to something you did not even know you needed until you saw it in a post. Kinda like intellectual shopping without a clear list.

With that said, You can use the Camloc's like screws, Be advised.

1) The combination of grommet and stud are "Grip Length" specific" so you will need to keep track of where they belong.

2) As you put them in and out of the .471 diameter holes, you will over time enlarge the holes by the shape lip of the grommet coming out of the fiberglass hole edge. It will take a while but it will wear.

3) Put in the wrong grip Camloc, and when it falls out it quickly becomes dangerous FOD. for you or the next guy.

My recommendation is as soon as you paint is a week old, put em in and put the snap rings on.:cool:

I didn't install the retainers on my cowl with Skybolts.

It sure makes removal and install alot easier.

Tonny,
The short answer is ?yes?. You can certainly use the fasteners without the retaining rings. Issues for consideration could include:

1. Simple loss of the fasteners.
2. As Tom mentioned, the holes in the cowl can wear with taking the grommets in and out but that will take quite a while. If it becomes an issue you could always decide to put a large area retainer on or patch the hole & re-drill.
3. Another thing Tom mentioned is the different grip lengths of the studs. Assuming that you have traditional fixed depth receptacles, make sure you know what length (dash number) goes where in the cowl. However, if you used adjustable depth receptacles such as the MS245 that we put in our kits, this would not be an issue as all studs are the same length.

Best regards,
Jeremy Summers
MilSpec Products, Inc.
www.milspecproducts.com