bullojm1

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am going to install a couple of SkyBolt fasteners on the bottom of my cowl but don't have them yet. Can anyone give me the measurement they used between the center of the fastener and the forward edge of the firewall. Here's a pic of the measurement I need:

CamlockSpacing.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

I used 5/8" which is the manufacturer recommended minimum (Milspec Camlocks). The reason I did so is because many builders have problems with some of their aluminium tabs hitting the built up honeycomb core on the Vans cowl. Placing the hole in the tab as close to the firewall as permissable (and therefore reducing the overall dimension of the tab) reduces the likelihood of hitting the honeycomb.

Last edited:
Two Concerns

I used 5/8" like Bob mentioned. To me the spacing between the fasteners is also critical. A couple of friends recommended to reduce the spacing to keep the in flight puckering to a minimum.

I used 3.5" between fasteners and this works great.

Need slightly more than 5/8"

It needs to be slightly over 5/8". The Milspec instructions indicate that the camlocs should have 5/8" edge distance on the cowl. However, you will also need a little bit of paint gap between cowl and fuselage. I added on 1/16" (for a total of 22/32") to provide both a paint gap as well as some fudge factor in case I accidently sanded the cowl back too much. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I made up my backing strips today and will drill the initial holes tonight.

I used 5/8" like Bob mentioned. To me the spacing between the fasteners is also critical. A couple of friends recommended to reduce the spacing to keep the in flight puckering to a minimum.

I used 3.5" between fasteners and this works great.

Same here....3.5" between camlocks. Too many builders try to space out the camlocks to cut cost....but they end up with the cowl "pillowing".