Rick_A

Well Known Member
Camloc studs have 3 parts - the stud, the collar and retention ring. In order to fit my cowl, I inserted the studs in the collars but never put the retention rings on. This has worked well during cowl fitting.

Now I'm ready to put the collar/studs in and leave them in - at least until it's time to get the plane painted. However, I now realize that you're suppose to put the collars in, then install the rings and put the studs in last. I tried to get the stud out of the collar but it sure isn't easy.

So is there a way to get the stud out of the collar? Also, once the retainer rings are installed, can they be removed when it comes time to paint?

Rick-

I just did this a couple days ago with my Milspec camlocs. I was stumped too for a while.

What I found is that you need to grind down the forked part of the stud pliers so that they are thinner and can be inserted between the stud and the grommet. Not sure why Jeremy doesn't just have them manufactured that way, but it's not hard to do with the bench grinder.

Let me know if you need a picture or anything and I can go out and take one.

Hope this helps.

retainer rings

Yes, the retainer rings can be removed. It can be frustrating at first - you need to do a few before you start geting the hang of it. I use either an awl or a micro flat head screw driver, and pry at the split in the ring. One trick I can pass on here - the split in the ring is cut at a slight angle, and you will find that prying on one side of the split works better than the other side. Plan on poking your hands a few times. Also, careful not to send the rings flying across the room. Stay patient - it gets easier with practice.

erich

Removing Skybolt Studs/Grommets from Cowling

The CLoc SK4000 Series studs require a Camloc or our best quality CLoc SK4P3 Pliers. The shorter studs are tricky to remove and require full compression of the spring.

The grommet retaining rings can be easily removed with a curved pick tool available from Skybolt SK245-PK, Sears (as a "Pick" set) or Lowes-Home Depot. Actually, the retaining rings can be removed with the studs installed and with some effort, replaced by hand with the studs installed. The SK-T26 Tool to install retainers requires that the studs are removed.

As for the 4P3 pliers, to craft the best quality, it seems that the China versions just cannot get it right despite perfect samples and CAD drawings. At Skybolt, in an effort to keep the price as low as possible, we made umpteen attempts to get a China tool made correctly.......no luck (I'm looking at 1000 rejects). We chose to use a domestic source and sell at little to no margin....but at least the quality is the best and requires no modification.

Regards,

Ned Bowers, Skybolt

Skybolts

I don't want to steal the thread but I will ONLY use Skybolts on my planes. Why? Customer support.

Some have went with Mil spec for a little less money. I'll stick with Skybolt and enjoy the personal attention we get from Ned.

In the scheme of things, the cost difference is minimal. You can't put a price on the after purchase support.

Thanks Ned!!!!!!

I don't want to steal the thread but I will ONLY use Skybolts on my planes. Why? Customer support.

Some have went with Mil spec for a little less money. I'll stick with Skybolt and enjoy the personal attention we get from Ned.

In the scheme of things, the cost difference is minimal. You can't put a price on the after purchase support.

Thanks Ned!!!!!!
C'mon Darwin... kind of a cheap shot at Milspec. You're saying that Milspec's after purchase support is bad? Try telling that to all of us for whom Jeremy VOLUNTEERED (in an open letter on this forum) to exchange and send to us his new improved version at no cost (including shipping)! Milspec will continue to have my business and I'll be spending less money in the process. "Minimal" cost difference... maybe, but for those of us who have other priorities for our money, the differences between a $50-60K RV and an $70-80K RV are merely a lot of little decisions like this.

Last edited:
No Cheap shot

I didn't say anything bad about Mil Spec only the experience I have had with Skybolt. Ned has been a regular member of the forum and contributes consistently. You read something into what I wrote.

Compare the two products, there is a difference beyond cost. And, I stand that the cost difference is minimal whether you are building a $60k RV or an $80K RV.

Sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intent.

C'mon Darwin... kind of a cheap shot at Milspec. You're saying that Milspec's after purchase support is bad? Try telling that to all of us for whom Jeremy VOLUNTEERED (in an open letter on this forum) to exchange and send to us his new improved version at no cost (including shipping)! Milspec will continue to have my business and I'll be spending less money in the process. "Minimal" cost difference... maybe, but for those of us who have other priorities for our money, the differences between a $50-60K RV and an $70-80K RV are merely a lot of little decisions like this.

Last edited:
C'mon Darwin... kind of a cheap shot at Milspec. You're saying that Milspec's after purchase support is bad? Try telling that to all of us for whom Jeremy VOLUNTEERED (in an open letter on this forum) to exchange and send to us his new improved version at no cost (including shipping)!

I also took advantage of Milspecs remarkable offer to upgrade my camlocks. And they sent the new ones to me in Australia and picked up the freight cost. After sales service just doesn't get any better than that.

Incidentally I also purchased the Milspec stud insertion/removal pliers and they work well with no modification required.

My experience with Milspec has been very positive.

I also took advantage of Milspecs remarkable offer to upgrade my camlocks. And they sent the new ones to me in Australia and picked up the freight cost. After sales service just doesn't get any better than that.

I also took advantage of Milspec's upgrade offer. I can't say it any better than the Captain - sales service doesn't get any better that that. I love the Camlocs, BTW.

Skybolt Customer Service

Unlike the previous two posts, I would like to thank Skybolt for their excellent service and will recommend them to my friends. I had a pleasurable experience talking with Ned and wanted to say how pleased I am with the service I have received. When I called to switch my existing floating receptacles for fixed, Skybolt was more then happy to accommodate my request as they mentioned they would do in previous threads.

Thank you again for the excellent service!

Mike Brown
Tallahassee, Florida
RV8