Bill Palmer

Well Known Member
I notice that Skybolt lists the -2S length stud (SK40S5-2S) as part of their RV cowl attachment kits. As I recall, if Milspec's 40S5-3S stud is used with the MS245 adjustable receptacle to grip a .063 cowl skin plus a .063 receptacle mounting plate, the receptacle's center plug protrudes well beyond the end of the receptacle collar, right? Therefore, if we're purchasing from Milspec, shouldn't we be ordering Milspec 40S5-2S studs instead of the 40S5-3S studs normally supplied by Milspec?

Thank You,

Bill Palmer

Bill, We have changed the MilSpec kits to incorporate the -1 stud length as per Jeff's recommendaion. So, there should not be any further issues with the receptacle / stud. If you have any questions or need anything else, please let me know. Thanks!

Jeremy
MilSpec Products, Inc.

-1S Stud

Thank You Jeff and Jeremy!

I somehow missed that thread when I did my search - - the -1S stud it is!

Best Regards,

Bill

Proper CLoc Stud Length

One of the many items we (Skybolt) found when we first created these kits, was the eventual requirement for -2 studs to prevent the insert from protruding too far out the back side. The newer generation cowlings became more of an issue than the older fiberglass cowlings. Our competitor copied our older generation kits, therefore you have been getting the wrong stud length and the inserts will protrude too far.

Regards,

Ned Bowers

Problems with a -1 Stud

I note that people are now recommending -1 studs. Unless you are receiving specially modified grommets, be certain that the stud will indeed fit into the grommet. If the grommets were modified, be certain that they meet the strength rating.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.

Ned Bowers

The kits and their components have been proven in flight over many years and 100?s of aircraft with no problems. Special parts or modifications are not required for this application.

Best regards,
Jeremy
MilSpec Products