edbundy

Well, I've finally had it with replacing/repairing the piano style hinges on my 6A. I purchased the MilSpec camloc package a couple of years ago during a group-buy and I'm going to finally tear into it.

I've read all of the posts dealing with camloc installation, but there is very little regarding a retrofit of an old style (circa 1994) cowl that was originally installed via the plans.

My most pressing question is do I need to reinforce the edge of the cowl near the attachment line? If so what is the best way to do this considering I am completely incompetent with fiberglass? Or will the standard 3.5" spacing be sufficient for an old style cowl?

I'm only planning on replacing the top and bottom firewall areas, and possibly the side firewall area.

Thanks,
Ed

Camlocs ...

My $0.02, FWIW.....I just now installing the Camlocs on my 9A, having also purchased the Milspec kit in a group-buy a couple years ago. :) (I'm putting on an SJ cowl with reinforced edges.) The Milspec instructions talk about the newer style cowls and SJ products generally having the edge reinforced. They either say or imply that the older cowls (I'd assume that includes RV-6s) do not have that reinforcement. I believe said reinforcement is just an added strip or two of fiberglass along the edges. Should be discernable to our "RV eyes".

Thanks for the reply. I too felt the implication was that maybe the old style cowl wasn't stiff enough. I'll give Mil-Spec a call and see if they have any additional input. I thought I'd put it out here first, but I guess there aren't that many "old" RV's out there.