apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I am thinking about ditching my Van's hinges for the cowl and going with something different. I looked at Skybolt but they want $650 for the kit.

I figure I can do Camlocs for about $200 or so.

Does anyone have the part numbers for a camloc set up for a Van's cowl?

Has anyone just used nuplates and screws on their cowl?

Skybolts

For whatever it is worth the Skybolts, while they seem expensive, are very well made and are easy to install. I used the floating receptacles. The adjustable feature alone is worth the money. I did my enitre cowl and nose gear fairing with -2S length studs. No need to buy a bunch of different lengths and fool with getting the right one.

Gordon

Lancair ES 75%

Nose gear leg fairing

For whatever it is worth the Skybolts, while they seem expensive, are very well made and are easy to install. I used the floating receptacles. The adjustable feature alone is worth the money. I did my enitre cowl and nose gear fairing with -2S length studs. No need to buy a bunch of different lengths and fool with getting the right one.

Gordon

Lancair ES 75%

Hi Gordon,
Could you please elaborate on this nose gear leg fairing? Would appreciate any pictures of the install. I assume you did it on you Lancair? Could it be done on RV-9A?

I put camlocks on my 8 and plan on putting it on the 10 in a couple of weeks. IMHO it is hands down better than hinges

Does anyone have the part numbers for a camloc set up for a Van's cowl?

Has anyone just used nuplates and screws on their cowl?

Tony I've seen tons of beautiful cowls at Oshkosh with nutplates and screws. Just need to dig my picture archives to get them. There are two.

cowl2.jpg

cowl1.jpg

Not sure about camloc setup for Vans cowl. If you mean elephant ears for oil door they are in Bag 932-1 and they are called Camlock fstnr (cowl) HW 2600-3W, Platenut (cowl) HW-212-12 and Lockwashers (cowl) HW2600-LW

Tony I've seen tons of beautiful cowls at Oshkosh with nutplates and screws.

Thanks Vlad,

Obviously screws and nutplates are cheap and pretty simple. I could still de-cowl in about 3 minutes. Anyone see any downside to screws and nutplates. Probably cost $35 VS Skybolts $650.

Thoughts?

Probably would work.....

Vlad...probably would work. You'll need to check that you have enough material to accept the hole. It is 15/32" if I remember right and there is a spec on how much material should left outside of the hole. The skybolt website has a drawing that shows the hole size and the material remaining requirement.

http://skybolt.com/

It is the 4000 series.

the awnser is---

Tony.
For my 9A, from ACS (My invoice)
27ea---
2700-3s camloc fastner
r4g camloc snap ring
212-12n camloc 2600/2700 recpt.
4002-ns ss camloc gromet

(They are stainless)
I used screws on the belly (6) and hinge pins to hold the halves together.
I used .050 2024 for thre strip
workin great:)