MS19087

Well Known Member
Friend
I am preparing the mounting strips for my camlocs . . . I am very clear on all except the FW strips which are located vertically on the sides. I have noted that some builders have chosen not to scallop these strips, however having them clecoed in place reveals that they want to naturally stick out slightly. My concern is that they may in fact need to be adjusted inward and without scalloping it would be difficult to bend them in due to the contour of this part of the FW. For those that have gone before me, has this proven to be the case? BTW I am using 0.050 2024T3. Comments, pictures? Thanks!!

Scalloped mine

I started off doing the sides un-scalloped but ended up scalloping and removing material at the bottom edge to improve the fit.

I strongly recommend NOT scalloping the side pieces along the firewall. Mine are, and it is a huge pain when installing the bottom cowl as the top aft corner of the cowl gets caught between the scallops on each side. I have even thought about re-doing mine.

To scallop or not to scallop. This is the question.

Scallop the top because you need to bend them down a little to conform to the shape of the cowling.

No need to scalop the sides. Scalloping will be lighter but the non-scallop will not snag your clothing:D

No need to scalop the bottom. Scalloping will be lighter but the non-scallop will not snag your clothing:D

RV7AMW_0095.jpg

RV7AMW_0096.jpg

I must be missing something here. Why did you leave a gap at the curved sections on the top cowl? Are there no camloc's in that area?

I strongly recommend NOT scalloping the side pieces along the firewall. Mine are, and it is a huge pain when installing the bottom cowl as the top aft corner of the cowl gets caught between the scallops on each side. I have even thought about re-doing mine.

I second this. Wish I had not scalloped my sides.

As Noel said, it is necessary to scallop the tops because of the curve in the cowl and the need to bend the tabs just slightly. I did not use camlocs on the sides or bottom, but would think that scalloping is not necessary there.

greg

In the pictures it shows a large gap on each side where there are no camlocs. This is the top curved areas. It seems odd there are no camlocs in that area. Anybody know why it was done this way?

An alternate approach

Fundamentally the issue is that the curvature of the fuselage/cowl interface along the top is somewhat conical, not purely cylindrical. If you use a straight strip and butt it up against the firewall which is flat, then it will produce a cylindrical contour, and hence the need for scalloping in order to bend individual segments back in to more closely fit the conical contour of the cowl.

On mine I took a different approach. I did my best to get the top strip to match the actual conical contour from the get-go by trimming the aft edge of the strip with the necessary slight curve before fitting it to the firewall. Having done this, it now parallels the curvature of the skin very well all around. If the contour of the cowl is fairly close to the contour of the skin behind the cowl, then further adjustment via scalloping will hopefully not be necessary. But I haven't fitted the cowl yet, so no data to report. Worst case, I can still scallop it if it proves necessary, but at the very least I think I have a much closer starting point.

I scalloped the strip over the top of my cowling and I notice that the cowling rises almost a sixteenth of an inch in flight. There is a lot of internal pressure trying to lift the top cowling and if you use thin material or scallop too severely the scalloped tabs can flex too much. I used .063 inch material for the camloc strips and they still flex slightly although not enough to cause me concern.