mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I am using camlocs to attach my cowl to the firewall in an RV 8. I started by making and scalloping the attach flanges. I then fit the upper firewall, drilling #30 holes at the appropriate spots. I then fitted and hinged the lower cowl.

Here's the question: do I drill the holes in the bottom cowl for the camlocs now or rivet the attach strips and then drill? If would be a lot easier to fit the camloc receptacals with the strips off the plane. On the Milspec website, they say to do that. On the Camloc website, they sort of intimate that you should rivet the attach strips on before you drill the holes.

It looks like maybe there might be some shift between the clecoed position and the riveted position. Is this a real concern? What have those of you that have gone before me done?

Thanks,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA

Camloc's

Michael,
I used the same adjustable camloc's on my RV-7. Leaving the attach strips cleco'd to the firewall flange is how I set up my cowling. It fits well and I don't think it would matter either way. I'm not sure if the RV-8 is exactly the same configuration, but it's probably very simular.
Charlie, Tucson

I clecoed the strips in place and drilled the locating holes using the template. I then drilled the center holes to the upper cowling and clecoed that in place to make sure the fit was good. Next step is to remove everything and drill out the center holes for the receptacle and the holes in the upper cowling for the retaining rings. I found I could easily rivet the receptacles with the strips in place on my cowling and it was easier riveting the strips to the cowling without the receptacles in the way. But it would work the other way, too, and near the firewall it's easier to have the receptacles on the strips.

Don't worry too much about shift. Notice that the receptacles are free to move about slightly. I was worried that the cowling might be free to move because of that but, in practice, the cowling stays put where you want it. The individual camlocks can move slightly but the aggregate fit will be fine.

Question answered

Thanks, guys.

I will go ahead and drill and get the strips completed before I rivet them in.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA