Davepar

Well Known Member
This is a simple question about camlocs. Is it OK to install the collar with the retaining ring into the cowl before painting? It looks like they would be hard to remove later.

Dave

No

Hi Dave,
We didn't put the retaining rings on our camloks and have flown it that way for 5 months and 85 hours. It is now in paint and we removed the camloks because primer will build up around them and then chip after it gets thicker. Besides, they look nice unpainted and a lot of guys leave them stainless colored. Plus the hole for the screwdriver gets filled up with paint, making them harder to remove, ;)

Speaking of which... is there an easy way to remove the retaining ring?? :) I put mine on and will have to take the collars out when it comes time for cowl paint prep!

Oops!

Fairly easy

Scott Will said:
Speaking of which... is there an easy way to remove the retaining ring?? :) I put mine on and will have to take the collars out when it comes time for cowl paint prep!

Oops!

Use an ice pick or sharp awl to separate the ring. Then use a small blade screw driver to "circle" the ring and it will pop loose. I found it was easier with 2 people, one to hold the ring away while the other uses the screw driver. Use just enough pressure to get the ring off so you don't deform it.

Only took about 20 minutes to remove all of them once we figured out this system.