JimWoo50

Well Known Member
My 0-320 had 125 hrs on it and with my 4th oil change I added Camguard. The Phillips 20-50 used to stay very clear for 20 hrs or so but with the addition of Camguard it became brown immediately. I am hoping that the Camguard rapidly dissolved all the accumulated deposits in the engine. Could this be true? Has anyone else noticed this or any other differences with the Camguard added to the oil. I recently added washers to my prv and increased oil pressure from 60psi to 82. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

Another thing I noticed there were usually small beads of water on the dipstick when I checked oil but I just made a long flight and checked oil frequently and have not seen them.

I would ask Ed Kollin, the inventor of Camguard, directly. I have spoken with his several times on the phone. His product support is great and he really knows his field!

[email protected]

Please post the results of your conversations with Ed here. I'd be very interested to know what you find out. Thanks.

Ed Kollin's reply

"We often see this phenomenon in engines with much higher times and occasionally in low time engine such as yours. Camguard stops deposit formation allowing normal component motions to clean up deposit (varnish in low time or carbon in high time engines) laden parts of a motor, e.g. Rings in ring grooves. This effect should decrease over the next few oil changes.

Are you using Exxon Elite? This oil tends to hold a lot of water and produce a soft brown sludge, which could explain both observations.

I recommend using Phillips 20w-50 or W100 straight weight oils with Camguard.

Regards, Edward Kollin's

I would be careful about increasing oil pressure. Sometimes too much can be as bad as too little. Excess oil pressure can cause leaks, especially around the prop seal.

Last edited:
cam guard

Do a search on cam guard power point lots to read on this on Vansairforce.
Bob