Bad Sheila

I am thinking of fitting some camera's to my RV6 and would like some suggestions as to what works the best and where I should put them. (without being rude of course) I was thinking of one on top of the vertical and one in an empty landing light on my wing.

I like the "Replay" camera. it is HD, small and lightweight but you cannot turn it on and off in the cockpit and see what you are recording.

I am thinking of fitting some camera's to my RV6 and would like some suggestions as to what works the best and where I should put them. (without being rude of course) I was thinking of one on top of the vertical and one in an empty landing light on my wing.

I like the "Replay" camera. it is HD, small and lightweight but you cannot turn it on and off in the cockpit and see what you are recording.

See this thread. Thanks, Allan:D
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71052

I haven't used any for flight recording, but have used the GoPro Hero2 very successfully for onboard motorcycling racing. If you look at the "Virtual Demo Flight" of the RV-14, you can see a GoPro Hero on the bottom of a wing.

I've got a GoPro

I have it mounted near the top of the rudder using the mounts that came with it. It is so shaky that it is almost unwatchable. The mounts that come with the GoPro are not very good when in the prop wash. There is all kinds of shaking and pulsing going on. When I mounted it inside the cockpit it works perfectly. The top of the rudder is a good place for the camera, it gives a very nice view of the plane and scenery. I'm in the process of making a fiberglass mount that fits the rudder's leading edge and holds the camera securly. I'm thinking it will cure the vibrations. I'll keep you posted.

I went with the Drift HD series instead, as the camera is much more aerodynamic than the GoPro when pointed forward from the tail (it's a tradeoff, the GoPro is more aerodynamic when you mount it on the wing pointed at the cockpit). Only minor issues with shake when mounted up there, but I am using the stock mount. I'm working on mounting it more rigidly but am not sure if it would be better to isolate it or to fix it to the tail.

I mount mine using the screws that hold my vertical stab tip fairing on. As luck would have it, the spacing on those screws match the spacing on the screws holding my wingtips on, so I can move the mount from one place to the other. I still wish for two mounts, though... It would be easier to swap locations.

The Drift HD has a remote that works from the cockpit, and while in flight. No remote viewing from the cockpit via iPhone or other, but there is a preview window on the camera itself so you can set up the frame before you take off.

camera mounting in wing

My right wing has a landing light housing just waiting for my LED landing/Taxi light so I am going to try and put my GoPro camera in there so it won't effect the wing aerodynamically.

I want to put a Drift HD on top of the vertical but I have the rivet line
smoothed over with fiberglass not realizing that one day I would mount a camera up there. Short of drilling 4 holes on the rivet line, were the tip meets the vertical, to clamp the camera, does anyone have any suggestion? :confused:

How about simply, HQ bullet cameras wired to the cockpit. Doing so enables a lot.

- can be aerodynamic
- batteries never run down
- change SD card in flight
- only need to take SD card home
- control camera from cockpit
- monitoring from cockpit
- can have more than one

& on & on....

Last edited:
Did you really mean Rudder??? Vertical Stab works

I have it mounted near the top of the rudder using the mounts that came with it. It is so shaky that it is almost unwatchable. The mounts that come with the GoPro are not very good when in the prop wash. There is all kinds of shaking and pulsing going on. When I mounted it inside the cockpit it works perfectly. The top of the rudder is a good place for the camera, it gives a very nice view of the plane and scenery. I'm in the process of making a fiberglass mount that fits the rudder's leading edge and holds the camera securly. I'm thinking it will cure the vibrations. I'll keep you posted.

If mountedon the FIXED vertical stabilizer all should be good with the GoPro Hero.

See this short video. There are some obvious shots from a **vertical stab** mount.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6XGnmbq954

I made three other mounts for my RV6.
1. Wingtip ... Circular plate with holes that allow 30, 45, 60 and 90 degree positioning of camera.
2. Cowl screws at center (used 3 screws) for pilot view center.
3. Inspection plate under wing. Made replacement inspection plate with mount. I added a nutplate in the center rib.

On these mounts, I countersunk the GoPro stick on attachment to further anchor it.

We also use head mounts.

Also, you can now purchase a GoPro WIFI remote control.

James
Team RV "CB"