RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
For whatever reason I finally decided to do something about this... There is a visually noticeable difference in camber between my left and right wheels. Now, I haven't done anything scientific yet and I haven't checked to see if the camber difference is present when I raise the tail to level the aircraft. Just walking up to the front of the airplane you can see the difference. I first noticed it when I did my wheel pants. A rough measurement with the aircraft sitting on the ground and tires inflated to who knows what, yields about a 2 degree difference.

I'm not sure what would cause this as both gear legs looked identical prior to installation. I did notice that Vans advertises in the catalog that the shims are to be used to correct toe and/or camber. So that makes me feel somewhat better.

1. Anyone else run into this?

2. Is this a problem?

3. I'll need more than one shim. Can they be stacked?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry,

By any chance have you checked it with the airplane on jacks,and the weight off the gear? It would be intresting to meaure the camber that way, and see if they are equal then. Might tell you if the gear legs themselves are flexing the same.

Don't know if that will help - just an idea for more info.

Paul

Paul,
That's a good suggestion. I haven't done that yet, but I will. I'll have to check this out more seriuosly. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this.

Thanks for your tip!
Jerry