leeschaumberg

Well Known Member
I wish to machine a new crankcase. ( flat four design ) Because I am not a machinest , I do not know what machine and software to use. This set-up will not be used for production so I don't need the best in knee mills and software.
What I want to do is draw a crankcase and machine it. Because we can use computers now to do the dirty work. I envision a good design sent to a XYZ mill and let it do it's thing over night. If a tool does not get broken , the part will be machined as designed.
The crankcase will be made from aluminum stock. The tools or cutters can be carbide for durability and smothness.
What I need to know is: (use this software) to design and draw.
(Use this mill) to machime.
I know how to smile when the job is done.
So if anybody knows what to use say so. I am very well versed in engines (2 and 4 strokes, gas - gasoline - diesel ) , 5000 dyno runs , former field service engineer , I can help you trouble shoot and fix most any engine
Lee.

Check out www.emachineshop.com

I haven't actually used them for anything, but I have played with their software, and it's an interesting concept - put out free CAD software, let folks design what they need, ship the file to them, they make it and ship you the part!

Kinda futuristic, huh? :D

Again, no warrantees expressed or implied...just a link someone gave me...

Paul Dye

If you are looking to make the whole engine in CAD, and then get it machined, I'd suggest using Solidworks. You can create the parts and assemblies that you want, and then you can send the parts to the machine shop, and they can set up tool paths, etc. If you really want to do the work (and can find a machine shop willing) you could create the parts in Solidworks, and then plot the tool paths in Mastercam. Most shops that our company uses has mastercam CNC software on a HAAS CNC.

Ron
RV-9A Builder and HUD Designer