rose1265

Question for those of you that have installed cam-lock type fasteners on your cowling. What thickness of Aluminum did you use for the firewall side?

Ned
42TD
7A

Same here

63 thou strips round the firewall.

For the sides I used the hinge pin method and I would go that way again. I used a wider flange on the lower hinge so the center of the hinge is hidden up above the cowl joint.

One note, when I was getting the strips form Vans there is a $5 cutting charge. I noticed that if you wanted the whole width off a 4' sheet then multiple cuts are free..I.e they would only charge you $5 to cut 3 strips.

My buddy did the same thing and they charged him $5 to cut each strip..Ouch!

Frank

Although I installed floating nutplates instead of camlocks, I fabricated a strap fashioned from .050 aluminum...plenty strong enough for that application.

Although I installed floating nutplates instead of camlocks, I fabricated a strap fashioned from .050 aluminum...plenty strong enough for that application.
This seems more reasonable to me as well, particularly around the side-top curves. I've tried getting .063 to make that tight radius and it just does not like to bend smoothly. For those who did use .063, how did you do it?

Easy

This seems more reasonable to me as well, particularly around the side-top curves. I've tried getting .063 to make that tight radius and it just does not like to bend smoothly. For those who did use .063, how did you do it?

I have hands like a gorilla...:)

No, its just a case of putting a bunch of little bends in the strip until its makes the shape all of its own accord.

Frank

275 hours on .040 and no cracks. I probably just jinxed myself for saying that.

Although it is overkill, I meant to use .063, but my brain wasn't attached to my head the day I made these and I pulled .040 out of the bin and went to town. After a week or so I realized my error. Since I spent hours making them and they looked beautiful, I figured I'd give 'em a try and see if they would hold up over time. So far, so good. Even with .040 they are pretty stiff and strong.

Skybolt recommends .050

I went to the Skybolt seminar at SnF and they recommended .050. That being said, I already had .063 strips cut to size, so I'm using the .063.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking .050 and am a bit surprised so many used .063. Seems like bending it could be a problem. On the other hand, since I have .063, I will probably give it a try.

scallop the curved portions.

if you think about this much you'll wonder, well the sides are not .063 why should the mounts be twice as thick as the side skins.. i used what i had.:D however depending on when you bought your kit. (i bought mine on the first group buy) your studs may be a bit long and the thicker material will alleviate that some. i sent all of mine back and got shorter studs. jeremey took care of me in an excellent fasion.