pierre smith

Well Known Member
I've searched but can't find any info....sooo, who has visited there and what pointers, advice, etc. since Jenny and I would like to go there toward the end of the month...

Things to do, places to visit, would be appreciated,

Best,

Callaway Gardens

Pierre,

It's been a while since I went to Callaway but the Little White House where Roosevelt died is a couple miles down the main road from the gate and is pretty cool and the view is awesome.

The butterfly house on the Callaway grounds was popular with the whole family as well as the Azaleas and other flowers that were in full bloom when we went.

You can't believe how many flowers there are there.

It has always been one of mine, and my kids, favorites.

The foods great, the people are nice and the story behind it is cool too.

Pierre,

Four RVs flew there the other day for a weekend lunch. You can call ahead and get the courtesy van to pick you up if you fly in. There is a parking/admission charge to the grounds if you drive. Plenty to do, including bike rental, butterflys to watch and you can hike and golf.

The airport was staffed on the time we flew in, but that was the first time I had seen anyone there. Stop by for pizza again.

Mark

Pierre,

My wife and I have been several times and try to go back at least once a year. The best time to go will be in the second or third week of April. You won't regret it. The airport is about three miles from the east entrance or about one mile from the north entrance. Try to stay in one of the on site lodges if convenience is important. We always stay in the Mountain Top Inn which is just down the road from the east entrance.

If you drive out, go to Pine Mountain and also to the FDR little white house. History galore....you'll love your time there.

Callaway Gardens has plenty to enjoy without leaving if you have only one weekend to stay. If you reserve rooms at the Mountain Top Inn, they will shuttle you back and forth to the airport and also to Callaway Gardens proper. It is absolutely beautiful. Hmmmm, I think I'll start planning our next trip. Have fun.

Callaway Gardens...

One of my favorite spots on earth!

Just spent our 35th anniversary at the spa! Fishing, fly fishing school,the FSU circus, world water ski championships, skeet, bikes, good food, golf,gardens,THE victory garden from the TV series, horticultural exhibits, one of the largest butterfly glass houses, historic venues, and one of my favs...the raptor exhibit!

Pierre,

I made a mistake in my previous post. I named Mountain Top Inn as the place of choice for accomodations at Callaway Gardens. That would be true if you wanted a cabin, but the lodge's name outside the east entrance is Mountain Creek Inn. The phone number is 1-800-225-5292 or 1-800-callaway. This is a nice place with fine dining. Eveything you need is there. I'm sorry for the wrong information. The names are too similar. Have fun. GOOGLE mountain creek inn callaway gardens.

David

KLGC or KPIM???

Okay, guys, not to muddy the waters, but which is the preferred airport? LaGrange-Calloway (KLGC) or Pine Mountain (KPIM)? I've heard of folks flying to both airports to visit Callaway Gardens, but it's not clear which airport you guys prefer.

P.S. I think I just figured it out...it must be KPIM, but I'd like to see a couple of confirmations.;)

Last edited:
Pine Mountain is much closer but if you need a rental car you are SOL. However, they will pick you up from Pine Mountain.

And yes, watch for wild life. Last time we saw a turkey and a fox looking thing on the runway.

Pine Mountain is the airport that we use. It's just around the corner from the north entrance. The folks there are always helpful, but they are there only during normal work hours. No rental cars or cafe. They do have fuel and they will help you get shuttled to Callaway Gardens. I agree.....watch for the wildlife on the runway. I would definitley make plans to arrive between 8am and 4pm.

On the courtesy car trick, be advised that once my wife and I went there (even called ahead) and ended up waiting 2 hours for a ride each way. Almost could have walked.

Probably have better luck making more careful arrangements and also making sure there isn't any kind of festival going on.