dick seiders

Well Known Member
Need some input here please. I have checked out my EDC10 and it's installed correctly. All systems are communicating with the 180k. I have set the Mag Cal intensity and inclination. Tomorrow I will place the RV12 on the compass rose, turn on all powered components (as per Dynon Support) and set the 4 directions as called for in the Installation Manual. This is supposed to set the compass heading. My question for those who have succeeded in doing this is: will the 180 compass show the direction I am pointing the airplane at while on the compass rose? I am not being cute here. I really don't know what I should expect to see on the EFIS heading. (in the past tries the heading indicated was not always the case, but I did not have any of the other components turned on before).
This presently is the only remaining issue I have with the 180, and I want to do it right and close this tiresome chapter with the Dynon.
Appreciate any input.
Dick Seiders 120093

Calibrating the compass

will the 180 compass show the direction I am pointing the airplane at
I do not know, but it should not matter what it indicates during calibration. The important thing is to point the airplane in the direction asked for by the Dynon and push the buttons at the right time.
I do not think that turning on electrical loads will have much effect on the compass, theoretically yes, but practically no. The compass is far away from most wires. The trim position and autopilot servo (in standby mode) use very little current and those wires are not close to the compass.
There is another way to mount the compass incorrectly besides having it upside down. The bracket can also be mounted to the left of right of center. Those extra holes in the tail cone frame give builders a 50-50 chance of using the wrong ones. You can loose your perspective when lying on your back installing the bracket. I know because when I looked at my compass installation, I realized that I used the wrong holes and had to drill out rivets and move the bracket.
I did not have a compass rose available for calibrating, so I drew a fore-aft line right in front of the vertical stabilizer and aligned an accurate hiking compass with that line. I trust my Silva compass more than painted lines on pavement or my ability to align the airplane with them. A hand compass needle is itself a magnet and should be kept away from the Dynon compass.
The Dynon Installation Manual says that at the end of compass calibration, the Dynon calculation pause should last between 1-20 seconds. If it lasts much longer, I would suspect compass installation or calibration errors.
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Dick,

Joe has it right, I use a boating hand bering compass and stand about 50 feet in front of the aircraft using the canopy latch and vertical fin to line up the aircraft. It is faster if you have a friend lower the tail and move the tail left or right as needed to get it on line for the direction. Get the aircraft lined up pointing north (I can get it within 1 degree) and press the button, the Dynon will think for about 15 seconds and will then ask to be pointed East just keep moving the aircraft and pushing the button as required and it will be done in five minutes. Good luck with it.

Best regards,
Vern

My question for those who have succeeded in doing this is: will the 180 compass show the direction I am pointing the airplane at while on the compass rose?

Dick,
The few times that I have done it, the heading indication on the D-180 was somewhat close but not exactly on the correct heading... I.E when aligned North the D-180 should read within 10 degrees or so of North.

Thanks guys. THe last two times I did this the calibration process took less than 1 or 2 seconds. Wasn't right tho. I also tried the Garmin, that didn't work either, but it was very gusty. I will try again and see what happens. I am hopeful.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Dick Seiders 120093

My -10 was waaaaay off...

...and had never been calibrated and showed very weird crosswinds and headwinds. I flew over to Sandersville where they have a surveyed compass rose and with the engine running and all avionics turned on, went by Dynon's instructions.

Try to taxi for a distance on the exact line before you push the buttons. I did it once and now it's dead on.

Best,

Thanks for the feedback from you all. I used Pierre's method and it worked very well. A re run on the rose showed all headings within 1 or two degrees best I could tell. **** Dynon finally works in all categories.
Now on to the AP74.
Dick Seiders 120093