idleup

Well Known Member
does anyone have an AutoCAD symbol of a 2-1/4" UMA 5-410-20 Altimeter they can send me?

Also, how do you mount it? The holes are huge and are not threaded...

Thanks.

does anyone have an AutoCAD symbol of a 2-1/4" UMA 5-410-20 Altimeter they can send me?

Also, how do you mount it? The holes are huge and are not threaded...

Thanks.

I have a 3D model of that altimeter that I can convert to a 2D Autocad format, when I get back to my office on Wednesday. Traditional mounting is via "grasshopper" nuts. Hateful little things that go into the back of the holes. Sounds good, until you try to thread a screw into one from the front and it pushes out and falls into some unreachable spot behind the panel.

Van's, ACS and others sell instrument mounting rings- aluminum collars with pressed-in threaded inserts. Much easier in theory, but the ones I got are about .020" too small in diameter to fit my 2-1/4" UMA altimeter & airspeed indicator. That said, it looks like I can easily open them up with a sanding drum in my die grinder.

Lars,

Will the screw holes still match up on the UMA instruments after you modify the mounting ring?

Also what size are the screws? I would imagine they are either 6-32 or 8-32?

Matt, as far as I know the screw holes on the rings and the instrument are both the standard for that instrument size. In any case, they do line up on the rings I have. The rings are just barely too small to fit. I'm pretty sure the screws are 6-32 though it's been awhile since I looked. I can check tonight if you want.

Are you still interested in the CAD file? For what it's worth, it's extremely generic, but it's dimensionally accurate.