dwilson

Well Known Member
Hi all,

What is good to use to tie wire bundles together in the engine compartment? Nylon waxed lacing? Zippy ties?

I think I saw a reference to this somewhere on this board, but I cannot find it.

Thanks,
Duane

Steinair is now selling some high-temp and super-high-temp (tefzel) zip ties -- not cheap though. I am unsure if they are strictly necessary FWF.

I've used spiral wrap... but make sure you get the good nylon material (AC Spruce)... the plastic stuff from the auto stores will melt... even though it looks the same. Guess how I found out..... :)

gil in Tucson

Plastic Ties for Engine

I had a preliminary inspection this weekend and the inspector asked me to replace the plastic ties on the wiring in the engine compartment if they were high temperature. I told him I would replace them but was wondering the best (cheapest) place to buy high temp plastic ties.

Thanks

RV 7A
Finishing
Lafayette, LA

High temp ties

Ryan,
THanks for the tip. I ordered some high temp ties from Steinair. I ordered a ton of stuff from them, wire, lighting kit, connectors and for some reason I spaced them out as having the high temp plastic ties. Expensive but I don't need too many of them.

STeve Anderson
RV 7A
Lafayette, La
Finishing (approaching the finish line asymtotically)

I like lacing cord myself...

If it's good enough for Boeing it should work for the RV :D
Plus it's cheaper, won't chafe and relatively unaffected by heat, chemicals etc.. The only place I use plastic ties is where I just can't get in to tie the cord, for temporary use they work great but cut em off an lace it up when you have everything the way you want it.

Two comments in followup.

A) you can get the high temp ties from mcmaster carr as well. Look for the "harsh environment" versions, they are made ofTefzel. They are not cheap tho. If memory serves me correctly, they are about .70 each for the small narrow, short version and go up from there.

b) you can also get the spiral wrap from mcmaster, in either *white* or *black*, but *make sure you get the PTFE version*, it's good to 500 degrees, the other is only good to 200 (including the nylon)

Hope this helps,