Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Can anyone out there that has a green quadrant cable from Vans give the the amount of throw on the cable? I have a 48" cable that I'm using for my mixture control and it only has about 1.75" of throw, which doesn't allow my mixture to (Silverhawk) to go block to block. Thinking of getting a new cable, but since the old one (with not enough throw) is Vans cable I'm wondering about getting one from ACS, since theirs are advertised as having a 3" throw. Or maybe my cable is faulty?

Thanks,
greg

Greg,

I'm struggling with this right now. Same cables, same quadrant but different engine and carb and wouldn't you know it, neither the throttle or mixture have worked. However, they make different arms for the carbs (and maybe for your fuel servo) so I'm going to order shorter ones, which will allow the quadrant to move the full distance.

it can be done

One go mine had to be perfectly adjusted. The other one I had to drill a new hole in the ARM.

Been there, done that

I horsed around with the cable and quadrant for what seemed like forever until somebody told me that Vans had a batch with too little throw. They replaced mine with the right ones but I had to pay full price since I had bought mine way back when and the warranty had expired. Kinda bullcrud if you ask me, but oh well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll call Vans tomorrow and ask about the throw on the cables. I have been hesitant to drill an extra hole in the mixture arm, but that would be a simple solution. I definitely need a new cable anyway, since the old one is binding a bit or at least it's stiffer than I would like.

Cheers,
greg

Drill holes 2 places

This took me forever to figure out.

Had to drill hole in Mix and Throttle Quad.
As far back as you can on the arm with
the edge distance.

Then on the mix I could not get it right an a AI came
over and told me on the FI carbs you have to drill
a hole in the arm of the Throttle side of the arm.

Moved it 1/2 inch up and IT WORKS.

Hope this helps but make sure you don't make

Swiss cheese of your Quad or FI Arm.

Can't wait till someone reads this one:D

Boom

Your throw won't change from 1.75 to 3" by simply changing cables, you will need to change geometry on the quadrant arm, or the throttle arm.

Is your cable what is stopping your travel, or is it the throw of the quadrant?

Mine took lots of playing, but I got it to work. I had to move my throttle arm over to clear my cowling, and I shortened it up a bit at the time to help with travel.

Good luck!!

It's definitely the cable that is the limit. I took it completely off and measured the throw on the cable only. I have plenty of additional room on both the quadrant and the mixture arm. Van's told me that the cables should have 2.25 or more inches of throw, which should be sufficient. Will try to remember to post the results here when I get the cable and install it.

greg